What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5th point, crotch strap installation?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

My buddy has a RV-4 which he did not built himself. I'm helping out with issues und to keep it airworthy.

He is doing aerobatics and asked me about a 5 point seat belt. Vans sells 5 point seat belt for RV-4, but in the plans, I could not find any hints how the 5th point should be attached.

- Is there a "installation kit" for the crotch strap?
- Does anyone have installed a crotch strap in his RV-4 and how is it made?
- Pictures?

Thanks alot,

Dominik

for the front I made a steel bracket that goes on the two center main spar bolts in the stick well. I havent installed the back seat one yet because I need to remove the floor boards to install a bracket for it.

bob burns
N82RB

I did the same for the front and for the back seat I wrapped it around the flap tube, works great and I'm not the first.

Vans support answer

Hello

Thank you for the answers, that helped!

Vans support also sent me info about this:
We do not have a kit or even drawings for a crotch strap installation for an RV-4. Over the years many people have done this on their own and seem to be doing just fine. For the pilot I think it would be easy, a bracket at the center splice plate similar to the picture below.
5th%2Bpoint.jpg

The rear seat is a little more complicated. From what I have put together most will attach this to the rear spar carry though.
Take a look at the link from an old VAF post and it should help you get some ideas: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60010

So I have an idea how to proceed and think it is no big deal to do it.

Thanks alot and best regards,

Dominik

Last edited:
Back