What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why EFIS systems are different

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
This thread is in response to a question on another thread.
How do EFIS systems from various vendors differ ? Why do some not directly compete ?

OK, this is dangerous for me to answer since I am a vendor. This makes my answer immediately suspect. For this reason I will not mention any vendor names or products, not even ours and only talk in general terms (you can put 2+2 together anyway).

I stated that some systems do not directly compete with each other. This is quite true once you start looking at detail. This does not mean one system is better than another system - they are just different. So what differences am I talking about ?

The obvious difference lies in the functions the EFIS offers and how this is presented. This makes an immediate distinction. For example, some EFIS systems are flexible to the extreme while others offer a relatively fixed set of functions in a fixed way.
The flexible system is great if you like to tinker, understand more than the average about what you want from an EFIS and have great fun "doing your own thing". Such a system is a bonus for oddball and unusual applications but can also be nice if you like this kind of thing.
However - this is not everybody's cup of tea. Many systems are pretty much "cut a hole, fit and forget". There is little to setup or change to make the system work - it's like buying a street navigator GPS - it does what it it supposed to do and that is that.
So which is better ? No - that cannot be answered. It depends on what you want or need. Don't buy a super system that is very complex and above your means or knowledge to handle. If you can't copy files on a PC or have trouble using a computer mouse - you are much better off buying a system that is pretty much fixed.

If you want to compare, look to see what basic functions the system offers and which of those you need and which of those you could not care less about.

Some systems offer very few functions and cannot really be called an EFIS - they are really a replacement for a six-pack. If that is all you need - then that is exactly what you should get.

Some systems are very complete but can overwhelm you with options and obscure functions. In many cases you may not need some of these functions.

Then there is the ergonomic aspect - a simple system with few functions needs little interaction in flight or otherwise so a couple of buttons are just fine. If a system has only limited user interfaces but a huge amount of sophisticated functions - that presents a problem, you end up having to navigate endless menu levels. For this you need lots of controls and buttons or else it becomes a pain and is near unusable in flight.

If you are in the market for an EFIS, it is not a difficult choice to make. Yes, of course cost comes into it.
Make yourself a list of functions that you need (from PFD to navigation to engine monitoring to additional "nice to haves" like video overlays etc).
If you do not need something, do not add it to the list.

Once you have this list - start your research. Get info from the vendors, ask other pilots that use a particular product (and ignore that fact that most EFIS owners will defend their choice regardless). Ask specific questions that concern you. Look at installation - are you going to do it or somebody else ?
What are the hidden costs - is the first price you see right or are there all sorts of little options that you have to get - once you add everything up, is that still in your budget ?
Does your choice have a future ? Can it be upgraded as technology changes ? Are software updates free and how easy are they to get and install ? Can the hardware be upgraded - after all, technology changes fast.
If your choice was for a simple system, upgrades don't matter much - but if you want cutting edge, things change fast.
Does the vendor have a reputation (good or bad) when it comes to solving problems ? The more sophisticated your choice, the higher the chance that something might not work as expected out of the box and needs a fix or replacement. What happens 5 or 10 years down the line should something break ? Few vendors will be able to stock spares and typical availability of many electronic components is very limited (if a chip maker can't sell enough of a particular item - they stop making them, no excuse).
My opinion on this item: Don't worry ! Two reasons: 1) EFIS systems will be very cheap by then so you can replace. 2) EFIS systems then will make your current sophisticated EFIS look like an old toaster - and you will WANT a new one.
Last comment on the above - replacement is easy as long as systems remain size compatible and electrically compatible with other subsystems you may have - even "plug and play" as far as possible.

Lastly:
Ask on Van's and other lists - there is a wealth of experience out there.

We have half a dozen vendors that cover a sizable range of products - I'd say that you have a good chance to find exactly the EFIS you need with a little research and you will be happy with your choice.
Buy what you need. Don't buy what you want. Don't get blinded by sales talk. EFIS systems are inherently simple - PFD, Navigation, Engine. Sort that out and then look at "icing on the cake" - additional functionality you need (not want !).

I apologize since my post contains a lot of questions rather than a direct answer. This is simply because there is no simple, direct answer - yet the solution to the question of "which EFIS" is quite easy, once you answer these questions (and perhaps a few I have not mentioned).

Doing it this way also shows why many systems do not compete directly with each other as your choice will quickly narrow to one system - exactly what you need. In this case there is no competition.
There is only competition if you narrow it down to two or more systems at a similar price and everything else is equal or very nearly so. Currently, you are unlikely to find this happening and if you do - you have not done your home work.

Rainier

Well said RL...

I will be diving into a ''Next generation'' panel on my new build very soon. Having moved up from steam gauges to basic EFIS /EM/GPS in the RV9A I am flying now, it has given me a chance to assess the experience, and learn the mission I need my panel to accomplish. I am Wowed by the awesome graphics and seemingly endless options one can select from the more capable systems, but now realize that what I really NEED is an electronic six pack, some navigation with an AP, Radio and transponder, and an EM with full probe array.
It's not that I can't understand how to use the options, or interpret the information, I just like to fly the airplane, look out the windows, and get somewhere with fuel left onboard. That's MY style.
But I also love the display interface, the weight savings, installation ease, and reliability and redundancy of the new glass. I connect with the flight information in a much more positive way. I like many others, can't see myself owning a steam panel in the future.
Now to the point Ranier..I hope that all of the manufacturers will consider keeping the simpler options available.

Regards,
Chris

Ranier, good post. A point I think might help some understanding of the why is that the EFIS community is still pretty much in it's infancy. Back in the late 70s, personal computers were in their infancy and every system offered was a complete solution in itself. Heck, even the TRS systems from Radio Shack were not always able to share components. Apple made a system, Texas Instruments made a system, Timex Sinclair ... well, you get the idea. It took widespread popularity and a lot of time before there was any component compatibility and we've only relatively recently seen reliable technology that lets the two main players share software as well as hardware.

When the EFIS business matures enough, I expect we will see more cross-compatibility between things that are now different from system to system, like autopilots or sensor hookups.

EFIS design fun.

Ranier, Great post.
I love the flexibility to totally design my own screen using screen designer and simulator software. I love it for many reasons but 2 examples are -

1- I have a screen for each member of my family. When my 10 year old has the stick she needs a simple screen with large and easy to interpret air speed, altitude and heading. She helped me design it. In time I?ll add more to here screen. My wife doesn?t want to hold the stick, she wants to navigate, so here screen is designed for that with all the moving maps and such. She also had input to the look of here screen.

2- Its a heck of a lot of fun (for me) to know I can design my own screen and to do it on my laptop. Then actually watch it work with the simulator.

3- I have found that in designing EFIS screens I have become educated in EFIS functionality. For me, its fun to know how things work and play together.

I?m not flying yet, getting closer, but still love to mess around with EFIS screen designs. Its fun and I learn by doing so.

I think you are correct in that this mode of screen designing is not for every one but it sure fits my fancy.

Oh, and map making and vector map editing is also on my list of fun stuff.

I'll add a couple of comments to Ranier's excellent post.

Do make the list of functions you want, but also PRIORITIZE them (and break the list into MUST have, WANT TO have, and NICE TO have).

Also, remember that your avionics are the sum total of all elements - your EFIS does NOT operate in a vaccuum! For example, some of us old timers LOVE the GNS 480, which essentially provides a full FMS (Flight Management System) for IFR operations. For folks like us, an EFB solution and a six-pack (or equivalant) could be all we want/need.

If initially targeting a lower cost system but thinking, "I'll add more later," add in factors for an upgrade path. Some folks were unhappy that vendor X's original line did not integrate well with their newer line - but then came to understand that you can fly with the old for a few years and still sell it for a substantial portion of the original cost.

Finally, cost cannot be relegated to your LAST consideration. Set a budget for your FULL PANEL, then set about optimizing the set of features

Armed with all of this information, you will feel fantastic that a purely emotional decision was "the best possible solution" - it really doesn't change anything, but removes any doubts about how I "might have done it better..."

:D

all the posts here are really helpful

Rainier,
I take your point about your position as a vendor. Certainly you have an interest in the decisions people make, but you (and other vendors) are also in a unique position to share your expertise. Thank you for this and all of your other posts.
Part of the challenge for someone like me is that I have only ever flown behind an ancient "6 pack". I have only a passing and limited acquaintance with computers and software. I am sure that I do not even know what I do not know when it comes to an EFIS. You have mentioned flexibility, features, ergonomics, price - these are really useful considerations that I can understand and spend the time to figure out.
What about what is inside the box behind the screen? I understand that an EFIS function may be achieved with different software, software languages, hardware and sensors. Some of the result of these differences appears on the screen via response rate, graphics quality and features. Less eay to judge are reliability and (I would think) integrity of the information that is displayed.
What are the questions to ask?
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

The flexible system is great if you like to tinker, understand more than the average about what you want from an EFIS and have great fun "doing your own thing".

That's me! But where can I find an EFIS that is very flexibly configurable, and that uses soft keys instead of membrane switches?

Soft keys are more flexible than a bank of buttons. Just sayin'...

--Paul

That's me! But where can I find an EFIS that is very flexibly configurable, and that uses soft keys instead of membrane switches?

Soft keys are more flexible than a bank of buttons. Just sayin'...

--Paul

Hmm,
why would you want soft keys instead of military grade keypads with a well defined contact pressure that you can use in turbulence ?
Yes, these keypads are made in the same way and the same technology by the same company that makes these things for a variety of applications in military fighting vehicels and fighter aircraft avionics systems.
We have found them to be excellent, highly reliable and they look like new after a couple of years with just a wipe from a damp cloth.
These are not the type you find in many cheap products that have a "dead" feel. These are real buttons with real contacts and they have a good amount of travel (with a defined "click"). The nice thing about these buttons is that you can firmly rest your finger on the button and push when you are ready. That is exactly what you need in turbulence or if sitting inside an armoured vehicle bouncing up and down over rough terrain.

Then - who says that soft keys are more flexible than a bank of buttons ?
These buttons are all soft and they take on different functions depending on what you are doing - you have a large amount of soft keys and that means fewer keypushes to get what you want. That's hardly bad.
In fact a new design on our table has many more buttons, rotary controls and joysticks than even our current products PLUS a touch screen.
Why would we do that ?

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

In fact a new design on our table has many more buttons, rotary controls and joysticks than even our current products PLUS a touch screen.
Why would we do that ?

Ooooh... now that just nasty! :D You can't just throw things like that out there and then just leave us hangin' ... ?!?! ;)

Interesting think. I used to love to tinker and thought I needed the ability to change and customize but now I find that I want to have the dang thing do it's job. One size does not fit all just like buying a car. Looking forward to the next ten years. What has developed in the last four years is astounding. I might even have a AP that will auto land my Champ for $1000 bucks.

Rainer I installed your Stratomaster in a CGS Hawk I built about 8 years ago. That was state of the art....

Last edited:
Ooooh... now that just nasty! :D You can't just throw things like that out there and then just leave us hangin' ... ?!?! ;)

Yes, after I posted that I thought I should have just shut up.
Ever heard of "concept cars" ? Well, it is a little like that. You make something based on a set of ideas and then you build it and see how well it works and tinker with it if needed.
If accepted this will be our next generation - but it will not replace our current products as these are intended to have a long product life due to both hardware and software upgrades.
Rather, it is intended to complement our line upwards, much like our soon to be released XTreme EFIS complements our line downwards...

Once you have an EFIS system with a huge amount of functionality that requires interaction in flight - the pilot interface becomes critical. Ideally every required function should need no more than a single, direct action from the pilot and this must be presented such that it is obvious how to perform that action. A pilot must be able to use his instrument fully even in periods of high stress.
This is the baseline idea behind our "concept".
Let's see what we can do...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

MGL Odyssey Options

Can't seem to find if the Odyssey EFIS can show aileron and flap level indicators ? See the AOA, but not the flap and aileron. If anyone knows where to find the info in the manual please write back? Thanks, Bill of Georgia RV8a wiring

Can't seem to find if the Odyssey EFIS can show aileron and flap level indicators ? See the AOA, but not the flap and aileron. If anyone knows where to find the info in the manual please write back? Thanks, Bill of Georgia RV8a wiring

Not sure where in the manual; but I believe this is done with the analog inputs to the IO Extender. In the screen designer, there is a item called an 'IO Extender XY Display' which accepts one or two of the analog inputs and scales it to a trim XY display (or you can just do 1 axis).

If you are using the Ray Allen products to generate the trim/flaps position, there is a document at: http://mglavionics.co.za/Docs/Ray_Allen_Servo_Interface.pdf

Of course there are other display 'items' that can be used also instead of the XY Display. It is fairly flexible.

Last edited:
Back