What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Avionics VHF tranceiver VHF-10, shipping expected in 4 weeks

Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
MGL Avionics's entry into the RF avionics market is finally in production after a long 7 year development cycle. This first product, a VHF transceiver, is fully based on modern digital technology and boasts an impressive array of features at an even more impressive low price:

6W TX carrier power (unmodulated)
108.00 to 117.75 MHZ navigation channel RX (sound only, no navigation functions)
118.00 to 136.75 MHZ coverage (RX and TX)
Large sunlight readable LCD display
100 channels with alpha-numeric frequency name and function
Active and standby frequency/channel selection system or direct entry modes
Dual scan with priority on active using single transceiver
Dual watch with priority on active using two transceivers connected to each other (one for active, one for standby frequency, full redundancy operation possible) - no audio panel required.
Comprehensive dual communication links for fully redundant remote control from two independent EFIS panels
SL40 and SL30 communications compatible with MGL extentions to enable full remote control of entire transceiver with status feedback
Fully digital audio subsystem using 18bit resolution CODEC for excellent dynamic range
Dual circuit digital intercom system (Pilot and passenger circuit)
User selectable ambient noise suppression system and VOX modes:
a) Traditional VOX with adjustable level and soft mute
b) Traditional VOX with adjustable level, soft mute and audio delay path
c) MGL Avionics propriety VOGAD ambient noise ellimination system. The best ever. Period.
Switchable voice band filter for extremely high noise environments
Auxilary audio input for EFIS or music systems (two inputs)
Adjustable microphone levels with bargraph display of levels - easily adjust for best performance
Pilot and passenger PTT circuits
Pilot and passnger PTT join or isolate
Audio output drives 8ohm speaker or 600 ohm headsets
Fully digital class-D modulator for best in class power efficiency during transmit. Very low audio distortion on TX and deep modulation for extra range
Excellent TX sound quality with digitally controlled modulation
Highly accurate and stable fully digtal PLL frequency source operating at 5GHZ (DPLL)
Dual superhet receiver with 45Mhz 1st IF and 455Khz 2nd IF
Bargraph display of received signal level
Bargraph display of transmited audio level - see how well your TX carrier is modulated (visual sidetone)
Field updatable software (requires PC with RS232)
PC based interface and simulation application available free. Maintain your frequency databases on your PC and upload if you prefer (requires Rs232 port or USB to Rs232 converter)
Wide voltage range operation - 10V to 28VDC
Super low power consumption: RX 120mA, TX 1.2A (at 13.8V DC)
Large keys, no knobs - possible to operate with gloved hands, ideal for open cockpit aircraft
Fits standard 3 1/8" hole (3.5" between mounting holes diagonal)
Very low weight: 250grams (~1/2 lbs)
Very small mounting depth, only 5.5cm (2.2") plus connectors
No mounting tray required, easy and quick installation
Zero internal adjustment and calibration during either production or service, no adjustable inductors, capacitors or anything else for long stability and service life
Low cost - best "bang for the buck" airband radio ever created

The VHF-10 opens the game for MGL Avionics with some 8 different RF products in development ranging from navigation receivers (VOR/ILS/GS), VHF tranceivers in various forms to a low cost mode-S transponder.

For more information and pictures, have a look at www.MGLAvionics.co.za

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

new radio

Very exciting to have a new product like this on the market! Congrats, and I hope you sell a bunch! Can you talk a little bit about your plans to get it "certified" in various markets? I assume the US, but what about EU?

Very exciting to have a new product like this on the market! Congrats, and I hope you sell a bunch! Can you talk a little bit about your plans to get it "certified" in various markets? I assume the US, but what about EU?

The tranceiver is built to pass all relevant standards including the tough European specifications. In addition the tranceiver has been expressly designed to pass our own even tougher specifications in certain aspects. Owing to our history we have been involved with ultralight avionics for a long time and know the troubles close proximity of antennas, radios and other electronics can cause in installations which are less than perfect. We wanted a transceiver that could be abused this way and still work just fine.

This means the European version of this transceiver (with 8.33Khz channel spacing) will be uncertified and can only be used in aircraft where it is possible to use such radios in Europe. Our European distributor is likely to manage the process of getting relevant certification done in Europe so it is only a matter of time (and money).

Rainier

Last edited:
Do you still plan to come out with the remote VHF?

Yes, it is in prototype stage now with a 10W transmitter - should be out before the end of the year.
It is a direct development of the V-10 and completely compatible so no great issues are expected.
We put the money we saved on not requiring a display and keypad into the transmitter to allow more power at lower voltage - this means the cost is expected to be very similar to the V-10 (likely price in the U.S. in the region of 800-900 USD).
Our new V-06 2.24" transceiver is a rock bottom price version without remote control. We are aiming to get this on the market in the $500-$600 region. It's tough to get it done for that price but I think we can do it.

The remote VHF tranceiver together with its NAV counterpart will be available as OEM parts to other makers of EFIS systems. I will keep them SL40/SL30 compatible so they can be used as a more affordable solution with many of the current EFIS systems.

I am doing the best I can to make flying affordable as I enjoy punching holes in the sky just like you do. I can't make engines or airframes - but I can do electronics - so this is what I do.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Last edited:
FCC

Rainier

Does this mean that you already have FCC certification (or some cross-country equivalent) for the US?

Rainier

Does this mean that you already have FCC certification (or some cross-country equivalent) for the US?

Yes.
As per requirements for non-certified aircraft avionics.

FCC CFR47 part 87
FCC CFR47 part 15
TSO C37d
TSO C38d
TSO C128

Testing has been performed by an acredited institution and FAA certification will be done via our local CAA which holds reciprocity with the FAA (this simplifies matters considerably).

European certification seems a bit more tricky at this stage.

Rainier

Rainier

MGL

Wow, I don't have a MGL yet but I've spent a bunch of time on the MGL website and I've dounloaded the EFIS simulator. I am totally impressed and is my current choice for my EFIS. Glad to see the radio.

What's the status of the MGL Auto Pilot?

Can you expound on this some more or post an update when you have this portion of the documentation completed? I almost got in on the group buy for an Icom 210 until researching this function on it. I'm now saving my penny's for an SL 40 but maybe it wouldn't have to take so long? :D

OK, here goes.
In our definition:
Dual scan: Radio uses single receiver and scans rapidly between active and standby to find a signal. If a signal is found (above squelch level) then the radio locks onto that frequency until the reception ends. Scanning then continous.
Dual scan with proirity on active:
Works similar to the above but if reception is on standby, it is very briefly interrupted every 1-2 seconds so the radio can do a quick check on the active frequency - if there is something going on, it will then change to the active channel. The interruption is audiable but short enough not to cause loss of understanding of a message (it's also kind of nice as you know that you are receiving on standby without having to check the display).

The radio can be selected to work in either of the above modes as you prefer.

Dual watch:
This is similar to the above but two radios are used. The only real difference is that if you are receiving on standby the reception remains un-interrupted.

If you are going for two radios you get quite a few options on how you want to use them - from a simple dual watch system with minimal wiring required to a full blown dual radio setup with or without audio panel.

Our radios are very different to something like an ICOM 210 and are not really intended to compete. For one thing our form factor is totally different - we are going for the 3.1/8" holes which seem to have been somewhat neglected so far for radios (the additional front panel space this gives to a 2.1/4" radio is real usefull). The V10 weighs almost nothing and needs very little space behind the panel and no brackets of any sort.
Yes, the 210 has started off with perhaps a bit of a weird way of doing things and I am not sure what the firmware update changes - I hope it changes the radio to be more usable as I think it is quite nicely executed otherwise.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier,

Will the 6 watt V-10 be compatible with the planned nav radio for a complete SL-30 replacement/killer?

If so, how will this work with other EFIS's that have SL-30 drivers built in? Will the efis need two serial ports or just one to get full SL-30 NAV/COM functionality/communication?

You say the 6 watt V-10 is going to be around $800-900 US, what is the expected price of the NAV portion?

The thoughts of having a SL-30 replacement that will fully communicate with the Dynon for less than 1/2 the price of the SL-30 has me drooling!

Back