What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apollo SL60 Value?

AzAero

Replacing the SL60 in my RV4 with a GTR200b. Issue in the comm board that created transmitting problem. Repair is possible at a flat fee of $500, just trying to determine if it would be worth doing for resale. I?m seeing sl40?s and sl30?s on the used market that appear to still be desirable and valuable, just not coming across any 60?s.

The SL-30 is still the best COMM/NAV out there so it commands a good price. It is a shame Garmin dropped it after buying UPS. The SL-30 feeds both primary and secondary NAV receivers to the EFIS. Considering Garmin’s limited replacement parts for the UPS avionics series you will need to weigh this against the cost of repair.

Side note - Just flew cross country in an RV-14A that has a GTR-200 as Comm #2. I was not impressed. I offer the Dynon comm radio as a better choice. In the RV-10 the Dynon radio is as good, if not better than the GTN-650 radio.

If my plane, for $500 I’d keep the SL-60.

Carl

Side note - Just flew cross country in an RV-14A that has a GTR-200 as Comm #2. I was not impressed. I offer the Dynon comm radio as a better choice. In the RV-10 the Dynon radio is as good, if not better than the GTN-650 radio.

If my plane, for $500 I’d keep the SL-60.

Carl

I've installed quite a few GTR200's (and remote GTR20's) and have been using the 200 myself as primary com 1 in my own aircraft for a couple of years now (replaced an SL40). I've been very pleased with it's performance and I've never heard anything but glowing reports from customers and 5x5 reports for radio checks.

Back