What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please educate me: NPT fittings

Arie

Well Known Member
Good day RV guys.
Can anyone please tell me how deep I need to thread the national pipe thread in to ensure a good seal. I can turn a NPT fitting by hand about 3 full turns. After that it becomes quite tight. I am "thinking" another two full turns( hopefully the fitting won't snap before that ) Obviously I would be using Permatex 2 as a sealant, but just wondering how deep I need to thread these guys in to ensure a good seal.
Regards
Arie

Scott's reference to the manual is excellent. As are the instructions themselves.
If I could add a little note here, in the case of angled adapter fittings, its a good idea to slow down and visualize the routing of the fitting and hose for the particular accessory. Take a sharpie and mark an index mark on the accessory or convenient location to align the adapter fitting. This way you can see how many turns it may be necessary to get the alignment right, as well as how much to tighten the fitting.
Be advised that think walled threaded bosses, like FLoScans may take some finesse to get things right without cracking the boss and creating a leak that even the best of sealants wont fix.

Tom

Section 5

Anybody know if the section of the builder's manual Scott refers to is available for purchase? The one I got back in 1985 doesn't look quite like this one!

HFS

Back