What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Binding brake

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of assembling the wheels and brakes on the RV-4 legs. The first one (right) went together very nicely and the wheel spins without any binding on the brake pads. The left one is defeating me and I'm not sure what I have done wrong or alternatively what action I should take to fix the problem.

The legs have the brake mounting hub installed the correct way round i.e. Locating bolt outside, towards the wheel hub. Brake mount goes on the inside of the mount ie away from the wheel. With the pads install the outer pad i.e. The one on the wheel side of the disc, is hard against the disc and pulling the calliper and pad over. The wheel will not spin at all as it is so tightly gripped.

I cannot see what is causing this problem but as soon as the calliper and pad are put in position I can easily see that there will not be enough clearance between the wheel side pad and the disc.

The obvious fix is tighten the hub more to squeeze wheel and disc inboard. Anything else will involve grinding metal somewhere and I don't think I should need to do that.

Any ideas? I'll try to post a picture to help illustrate the problem.
Thanks

Chris

Make sure the piston is fully pressed into the bore. It must be at least flush with the machined surface before you slide on the pad plate.

Checked that - the piston is right back into the calliper.
It seems like the calliper itself is a little too far away from the disc so that the inner pad binds and the calliper is canted.

Any more thoughts? In. Wondering if the problem lies in the axle/hub assembly?

Chris

You said the right one is working properly. Take it apart as you compare each part and location with the left one.....

something is not in the right place.

Back