What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Internal rudder stop dimensions

Stewie

Well Known Member
Hi all-
I went through some older posts discussing internal rudder stops, and there were several links on dimensions for a DIY version that have since expired. Can anyone provide dimensions? (FWIW, this will go in a -4 although as far as I know that is not a factor).
Eric

I don't have a drawing, but I do have a photo. Internal rudder stop

You can buy these from us, $29.

Or you should be able to easily make your own from looking at the photo. The exact shape isn't that critical, just leave a bit on the ends so you can trim and adjust as needed.

I built a rudder stop and still have the drawing.
I only know how to attach it to an email.
Should I send it?
Tom

I don't have a drawing, but I do have a photo. Internal rudder stop

You can buy these from us, $29.

Or you should be able to easily make your own from looking at the photo. The exact shape isn't that critical, just leave a bit on the ends so you can trim and adjust as needed.

Note that if you put the rudder stop on top of the hinge plates as shown in the photo link, you'll have the devils own time trying to get your hinge bolts in place, clearance is very tight. I put mine between the two hinge plates and it was much easier.

Hinge Bolt First

Hey Greg, You are correct. Putting the hinge bolts in after installing the rudder stop would be very difficult.
So, for me I was able to put the hinge bolt in before the rudder stop.
When doing the final rudder stop trim adjustments I was able to remove and insert the rudder stop with all 3 rudder hinge bolts in place.
I was surprised the rudder stop was removable and mountable with the rudder completely installed and bolted on.

building one now

I picked up some very strong plastic or nylon today to make one today at Plasticare in Denver to build a stop. Thanks for the info and drawing.

Note that if you put the rudder stop on top of the hinge plates as shown in the photo link, you'll have the devils own time trying to get your hinge bolts in place, clearance is very tight. I put mine between the two hinge plates and it was much easier.
Also, if you put the stop on top of the hinge plate, the bolts that hold it in place are loaded in bending, and they will get flexed back and forth as you bounce off the stops. If you place the stop between the hinge plates, the bolt will be loaded in double-shear, which is much stronger. It will also minimize the misalignment of the eyelet on your rudder, making it even easier to get those hinge bolts in.

Hey Greg, You are correct. Putting the hinge bolts in after installing the rudder stop would be very difficult.
So, for me I was able to put the hinge bolt in before the rudder stop.
When doing the final rudder stop trim adjustments I was able to remove and insert the rudder stop with all 3 rudder hinge bolts in place.
I was surprised the rudder stop was removable and mountable with the rudder completely installed and bolted on.

I had never considered getting the hinge bolt in before installing the stop, that's a good approach. Thanks for the tip. I'm not entirely happy with my rudder stop as it is, I may end up reworking it.

Back