What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2011

Camping

Just learned today my job is actually having me travel from Oregon, to 30 miles away from Oshkosh, 1 week before opening day. Instead of coming home on opening day I'll camp for a week in camp Shroller. Question-I'll like a good camping spot. Does it make sence to go to the camp ground 1 week early, pick a spot, pitch a tent, then take off for a week to return opening day. Will my camp spot still be there or will it be overtaken by other campers? Are camp sites marked? What would you do?

Just learned today my job is actually having me travel from Oregon, to 30 miles away from Oshkosh, 1 week before opening day. Instead of coming home on opening day I'll camp for a week in camp Shroller. Question-I'll like a good camping spot. Does it make sence to go to the camp ground 1 week early, pick a spot, pitch a tent, then take off for a week to return opening day. Will my camp spot still be there or will it be overtaken by other campers? Are camp sites marked? What would you do?

First off, lucky you! You can go there and stake out a spot, but only if you pay for that spot FROM THAT DAY ON. You would be given credentials that you would stake out. Do take a photo of the spot to prove you did it (not that anyone would ever move your site, but...) It would cost you $22 per night for this week that you wouldn't be there. It is up to you to figure if it is worth it to you. Personally, for a first timer, I wouldn't do it. Everything is first come, first served, but there really aren't any bad spots (unless it rains like last year.) You won't really have a "favorite" site like many of us have. Glad that you are going to make the show. Really tough to have to travel all of 30 miles from your job.

Bob

I've done that the last two years -- go up early, stake out a campsite and pay for it -- and then go up the weekend before it starts and set up my tent (I wouldn't suggest setting up a tent while you're not there, because a good storm could come along and blow it down in your absence).

Two years ago, we flew up and staked out the campsite, paid and left. When we arrived, we found that the guy who set up camp next to us decided that he wanted more room, so he just moved our stakes and rope, leaving us too little room to camp and park a car. Camp security had to be called in, and WE ended up having to move!

Last year, we flew up several days before SloshKosh began and found the only high ground left (and that was marginal) and staked out our territory. I even spray painted in bright pink "FAA" in the grass, hoping that that would dissuade anyone from moving my boundaries. It worked. Unfortunately, it was right across from the South African contingent who, having traveled so far, apparenly felt the need to party 'til the wee hours every night. Every night.

I'll fly up again this year ahead of time and stake out a claim, but I have accepted the fact that the civility and collegiality of years past in Camp Scholler are waning. Maybe I'll just camp with my plane in HBC next year.

Maybe I should string up some concertina wire this year ...?

I'll fly up again this year ahead of time and stake out a claim, but I have accepted the fact that the civility and collegiality of years past in Camp Scholler are waning. Maybe I'll just camp with my plane in HBC next year.

Well there goes the HBC neighborhood.

I'm booked for Oshkosh

Thanks every only for your replys. I've got it worked out. Get this. So. I have to work in New Londen (50 miles from Oshkosh) the week before Oshkosh. Instead of staying in a hotel in New Londen that work week, I rented a big van and will camp and drive to work in New London. Weird, I couldn't get a van for just the week of Oshkosh but I could for 2 weeks. The work week before and during Oshkosh. Only 400.00 per week from enterprise. See you all there.

I have a room available 7/26, 27 and 28 at the Comfort Inn in Fond du Lac

We had to book the minimum 5 days but we only need it Friday and Saturday. Another RV-er was going to take it Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but just backed out due to family emergency. So it is again available for those three days. Rate is 199.95 per night, King bed non-smoking. There is shuttle service to and from the show till late. If interested, please e-mail me directly or call me on my cell: 614-832-0545. LeRoy Johnston RV-6A N176LD "Esperanza" 460 hrs.

Room no longer available 7/26, 27 and 28 at the Comfort Inn in Fond du Lac

The room has been spoken for and is no longer available. This list sure works fast! Hope to see a lot of you at Oshkosh. --LeRoy Johnston RV-6A N176LD "Esperanza" 460 hrs

Osh '11

I am really excited to be going to my very first Oshkosh this year. On the upside, I'm getting paid to go. On the downside, I'll have to work rather than take it all in.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the first of what I hope is many Oshkosh visits!

Back