What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: quick and dirty Step drilling

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
When using a step drill to upsize a bunch of holes, I like to use a Black Sharpie marker to darken the next step up. This allows me you "see" the size I want while the drill is spinning. Run it up to the black and move to the next hole. No wondering, did I go to far? or do I drill one more step?

RV-7build498.jpg

Just make sure you mark the correct step.;)

Good tip! I have been wraping electrical tape around mine as a marker. This will be a lot easier.

When using a step drill to upsize a bunch of holes, I like to use a Black Sharpie marker to darken the next step up. This allows me you "see" the size I want while the drill is spinning. Run it up to the black and move to the next hole. No wondering, did I go to far? or do I drill one more step?

.. photo snipped for brevity ...

Just make sure you mark the correct step.;)

I do the same sort of thing myself and I can also attest that it does indeed work quite well.

Better yet, get an assortment of colored Sharpie pens and color each step a different color. When you get ready to drill, just remember what color you need to stop on.

Back