What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove Prop Spinner Fairing

fbrewer

Well Known Member
Members,

I need to send my prop in for inspection and minor repair.

How do I remove the prop spinner fairing? It appears to be mounted to the prop hub with metal dowels?

Prop-Spinner-Fairing.png

The picture is not showing up for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members,

I need to send my prop in for inspection and minor repair.

How do I remove the prop spinner fairing? It appears to be mounted to the prop hub with metal dowels?
It looks like the back of the prop. If you flip it over, there should be six bolts, remove those and the prop extension and fairing will come right off.

But yes....

Assuming it’s a Sensenich fixed and a Saber extension, you get out a large persuader, a large diameter drift, and some lumber to secure the prop, and you apply persuasion to the two dowels to separate the prop from the extension. It’s not as bad as it sounds. And if that’s a Sensenich spinner, don’t spin it without the dome above about 1600 RPM, or the backside fairing ears will Bend out and you’ll get to replace that too. Been there, done that.

I used a short handled four pound sledge, my 20oz dead blow didn’t budge it. The four pounder made it easy, and I really didn’t have to swing hard. Take your time, safety glasses and gloves and a helper are highly recommended.

You should mark it such that you reassemble the parts with the same relationship to each other. Also, be sure the mating surfaces are clean when reassembling or torquing and tracking may be off.

Last edited:
Rick,

Thanks for the verification. I thought a little 4 lb persuasion was the way to go, but before I try anything for the first time, I prefer the advice of those who have gone before. :)

Rick,

The next question is from which side do I apply the persuasion to remove the dowels and separate the fairing from the prop?

From memory...

From memory, the dowel pins are fixed to the extension, so pushing from the forward face of the prop back releases it. I can?t find the pictures, but the memory is pretty clear, especially when I was at the hanger this morning. I used 4x4s and some shims to support the prop at the blade roots. When you think about it, if the dowels were fixed in the prop, it would not mount to the face of the crankshaft, right? So they must be part of the extension.

Back