- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post

Taking 18 lbs off the nose seems like a wonderful thing.
It also made our wallet thinner.
Just curious how the cost of the WW VS the Hartzell VS an MT compares?

Any thoughts about overhaull experiences and costs comparing the 3?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Overhal costs

I did some research today on overhaul costs and thought I would share the data since I never saw a response to your post.

An MTV-15 2-blade composite overhaul starts around $3,300
An MTV-12 3 blade composite overhaul starts around $4,100
A Whirlwind 74HRT "Teardown Inspection" as they call it starts around $650

I don't have any info on the Hartzell. Of note, the MT TBO is 1,800 or 72 months while the Whirlwind TBO is 600 or 72 months. Seems to me that if you don't fly much and will hit the 72 month mark before the 600 hours then the Whirlwind is significantly less expensive to "inspect / overhaul". I would assume though that if any issues are found during the inspection that the price would quickly go up.
RV-14A #140512 (N122X probably)
Empennage Complete
Wings en-route
Research on-going
Old 01-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Jon,
Seems like more info needed.
As for me, I sent our WW prop back to WW and stuck with out Hartzel. The HRT74 didn't play well with a James cowling and the long lead times on other options had us wanting to stick with a known quanity for now and update in the future.

But for now......
One thing I noticed in the WW and sure it pertains to all composites in the beautiful finishes. Almost too perfect as to make any imperfection stand out. So when we as pilots or owners think about OH's the question is one, the hub, but 2 is the blades. When a aluminum blade has minor knicks the OH'er can regrind the blade, within limits, and we know what that costs, lets just say 2 to 3K....
Not sure I had heard about costs to repair a composite blade. Now, I don't know and to be fair, in the aluminum blade example above if it's out of limits, it becomes a airboat prop of a wall decoation or a recycleable. And maybe the composite prop can be repaired and repainted when in bad shape, so there are pros and cons. Bottom lines is it seems to be hard to compare apples to apples.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Rotol blade replica 72"

Hi all,finally the Rotol/Spitfire blade replica 72" was tested on a new RV7 stock 180 HP. It's 19 pounds lighter compared stok metal blasdes and is very very smooth.Here's attached some numbers from the Garmin. Looks not bad,what about your numbers with different prop on same frame/engine combo please?

Thanks,
Alex