What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Position of static ports

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I don't see the position of the static ports indicated on the plans anywhere but maybe I'm just missing it. Anybody know the answer please? Otherwise I'm guessing that about 2 inches in front of F-408, about 3-4 inches below the longeron....?

Thanks

Chris

Its on the plans. I don't have them in front of me but seem to remember something like 14 inches in forward of the horizontal and a few inches below the longeron.

Found it!!

It's not in the plans!
Apparently drawing SK-54 - I have to search it out.
18 inches in front of the HS, centred vertically on the fuselage. Steve Sampson raised the issue of the bulkhead (F-409) that is in the same approximate position. I will install mine just in front of that to aid any needed access in future.

Finally found it using the search feature- needed the right search term.

Cheers - back to the workshop.

C

That is where I installed mine. I have very little position error in the system based on calibration runs.

Just as important as position is to use the domed rivet heads that Van's recommend.

I had flush ports on my current RV-4 when I bought it and the airspeed read 5-8 knots low. After I put the domed heads over the port it dropped the static pressure just enough for it to read correctly.

If I remember correctly the position is shown on a small paper that is in the static port rivet kit. Larry

mark albery

how did you put the domed head on? I need to do the same or keep living with the same errror

Bill,

I actually glued the domed head over the flush port using a drill bit to keep it centred and stop glue going into the port. Taped it over, removed the drill bit and it's still working fine years later.

Cutting the heads off of the rivets was the tricky bit.

Back