What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got APRS?

What is your POSITION on APRS

• I have it in my plane - already tracking

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I'm planning it for my plane

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • I'm on the fence - please post why

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • No way the Feds are gonna track me!

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, it is hard not to justify putting APRS in my -9 when the cost is so low (around $200) and the benefits are so great.

1) It is just some cool technology and neat to see your tracks
2) It gives a measure of security to those in your family who are non-aviation minded.
I showed my wife and kids how to use it at home.
3) It should be a great benefit to SAR combined with a PLB in the event I need to be plucked out of the wilderness somewhere.
4) It is educational and makes me feel like I am on the "cutting edge" of technology.

The only negative I can think of is for those days when you call in sick or leave work early with a lame excuse, the boss can see what you are REALLY up to. That's why I am going to install an on/off switch!

Last edited:
I'm on the fence as I don't have access to the wingtips where most antenna seem to be going and haven't done enough research YET to figure out a solution.

Would like too ASAP but it hasn't reached the upper level on the priority list yet.:D

For me, it is hard not to justify putting APRS in my -9 when the cost is so low (around $200) and the benefits are so great.

1) It is just some cool technolgy and neat to see your tracks
2) It gives a measure of security to those in your family who are non-aviation minded.
I showed my wife and kids how to use it at home.
3) It should be a great benefit to SAR combined with a PLB in the event I need to be plucked out of the wilderness somewhere.
4) It is educational and makes me feel like I am on the "cutting edge" of technology.

5), Lojack without a subscription in event of theft!!:D

There isn't a category for me. I have used APRS for years in my car, mostly for storm chasing. I don't plan to put it in the airplane.

Back