What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got mine working

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I got my APRS tracker working. Mounted in the left wingtip with a big wad of zip ties and "shoe goo". It seems to work flawlessly. I was hitting stations 160+mi away yesterday. Super fun after you get over the fact that someone is always watching. I tied mine to the nav lights like others. Good for stealth mode.
Here is my first airborn track:
http://aprs.fi/?call=N4822C&dt=1210291200&mt=m&z=9&timerange=3600

Equipment list

I got my APRS tracker working. Mounted in the left wingtip with a big wad of zip ties and "shoe goo". It seems to work flawlessly. I was hitting stations 160+mi away yesterday. Super fun after you get over the fact that someone is always watching. I tied mine to the nav lights like others. Good for stealth mode.

Scott,

Neat results.

Can you give us details of your exact equipment set-up.

Sounds like the rest of us could just duplicate it....:)

gil A

Scott,

Neat results.

Can you give us details of your exact equipment set-up.

Sounds like the rest of us could just duplicate it....:)

gil A

Yeah, it is pretty much a no brainer. If I can do it, anybody can! :). I ordered up the 8W unit from Bionics as well as their 12v voltage regulator and their GPS1 gps antenna. Wired power just like a schematic that was posted here last week. I used Ryan's J-pole antenna.
I made up a simple serial cable with pins 2&3 crossed and pin 5 connected (no other connections needed). I programmed with configs posted here by Sam. I think that is about it. It "just works". I have the output power cranked up pretty high. There is a note in the documentation that says to adjust the pot so you see no more than 3v across certain contacts. Ok, that sounded like a limit to aim for, so that is roughly what I did. Of course the licensed radio operator, Tanya!!, was standing over my shoulder the whole time so we're legit <chuckle>.
My install is very quick and dirty as I alluded to. I'm reluctant to post pictures of that. I'm planning on cleaning it up (less shoe goo :) in a couple of months during my condition inspection.

Antenna Q.

Thanks Scott..... how did you mount the antenna in the tip?

Did you lay it horizontally, or try to get some vertical component to it's orientation?

gil A

Yeah, it is pretty much a no brainer. If I can do it, anybody can! :). I ordered up the 8W unit from Bionics as well as their 12v voltage regulator and their GPS1 gps antenna. Wired power just like a schematic that was posted here last week. I used Ryan's J-pole antenna.
I made up a simple serial cable with pins 2&3 crossed and pin 5 connected (no other connections needed). I programmed with configs posted here by Sam. I think that is about it. It "just works". I have the output power cranked up pretty high. There is a note in the documentation that says to adjust the pot so you see no more than 3v across certain contacts. Ok, that sounded like a limit to aim for, so that is roughly what I did. Of course the licensed radio operator, Tanya!!, was standing over my shoulder the whole time so we're legit <chuckle>.
My install is very quick and dirty as I alluded to. I'm reluctant to post pictures of that. I'm planning on cleaning it up (less shoe goo :) in a couple of months during my condition inspection.

Impressive, Scott! Looks like you have a very solid tracker and the Ry-pole is doing a great job. Data looks clean and Smartbeaconing is dialed in very well.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks Scott..... how did you mount the antenna in the tip?

Did you lay it horizontally, or try to get some vertical component to it's orientation?

gil A

The radio is mounted on one face, the antenna is wrapped along the forward nose (zip tie to another antenna), then down the opposite face with a dab of shoe goo at the trailing edge just before the tip rib.

I think I'm going to go out and do a few laps at about 2pm CDT today...

Private Pilot Nightmare

I especially like the S-turns over the road. Can you imagine if your instructor during your private lessons used this method as a post-flight recap?! Ugh! Looks like winds were out of the south! Good job.

The radio is mounted on one face, the antenna is wrapped along the forward nose (zip tie to another antenna),

Ummm... two antennas in close proximity is not very good for the longevity of either unit. The SWR will go way up for the transmitting unit. But more importantly, if you're pumping 8W into one antenna and the other antenna is connected to a receiver, you can easily damage the receiver. Receivers are designed to detect signals in the micro volt (.000001V) level, with a transmitting antenna next to it, you can get several volts. Receivers may have protective diodes in them to handle the occasional transient, but if you're putting out 8W bursts every 30 seconds, there's a good chance you're going to have something fail eventually.

Unfortunately, the Technician test is not going to tell you everything you need to know. But you might be surprised that there are a lot of local ham operators that are more than willing to help out a new licensee, even if all you're going to use it for is APRS (hint-some of them probably gave you the exam).

Just trying to be helpful,
Paige
(Ham since 1986)

Ummm... two antennas in close proximity is not very good for the longevity of either unit. The SWR will go way up for the transmitting unit. But more importantly, if you're pumping 8W into one antenna and the other antenna is connected to a receiver, you can easily damage the receiver. Receivers are designed to detect signals in the micro volt (.000001V) level, with a transmitting antenna next to it, you can get several volts. Receivers may have protective diodes in them to handle the occasional transient, but if you're putting out 8W bursts every 30 seconds, there's a good chance you're going to have something fail eventually.

Unfortunately, the Technician test is not going to tell you everything you need to know. But you might be surprised that there are a lot of local ham operators that are more than willing to help out a new licensee, even if all you're going to use it for is APRS (hint-some of them probably gave you the exam).

Just trying to be helpful,
Paige
(Ham since 1986)

Details, details. You infer way too much, both about my assumed lack of knowledge, and my particular setup. Neither would be correct. I said there was another antenna in there, but not that it was connected to anything :).

Details, details. You infer way too much, both about my assumed lack of knowledge, and my particular setup. Neither would be correct. I said there was another antenna in there, but not that it was connected to anything .

Roger, got it. Sorry for the assumptions, please accept my apologies.

But, in general, locating an antenna close to anything metal (disconnected antennas included) is bad practice. The result will be a change in impedance and radiation pattern. Why do I think people don't realize this? I see builders strap ELT antennas down next to bulkheads with a thin layer of insulation supporting the antenna.

Now there are exceptions to the generalization I gave above. The archer wingtip antenna is one of those; it has been designed to tolerate properly routed wiring.

Paige:)

Thank You Pete and Sam!

Thanks to the selfless and enthusiastic support from Pete and Sam, another APRSer is in the sky and on the airways!
I flew an ops check Sunday morning then hurried home to see my track on the net.
IT'S MAGIC! Or something that I really don't understand, but very neat.:)
I have some tweaking to do on my config., like changing that VW into an RV, but what an incedible bit of gadgetry for around $200!
In my opinion, Pete and Sam exhibit the best of how knowledge can be shared to the benefit and education of others in this wonderful endeavor we call homebuilt aircraft.

Last edited:
Thanks to the selfless and enthusiastic support from Pete and Sam, another APRSer is in the sky and on the airways!
I flew an ops check Sunday morning then hurried home to see my track on the net.
IT'S MAGIC! Or something that I really don't understand, but very neat.:)
I have some tweaking to do on my config., like changing that VW into an RV, but what an incedible bit of gadgetry for around $200!
In my opinion, Pete and Sam exhibit the best of how knowledge can be shared to the benefit and education of others in this wonderful endeavor we call homebuilt aircraft.

Hey!! Our first "Air Car" APRS tracker! :D

KJ4EFS.jpg

Nice job, Bruce. Check the symbol and table/overlay fields for the little airplane commands:

tracker_config.jpg

(apostrophe and forward slash)

Thanks for the nice comments and we look forward to flying with you. :)

Thanks Sam,
I am going to change some settings tomorrow and make a fuel run on Thursday. I did notice that my Airmap1000 antenna did not work with the APRS puck next to it. I moved the puck about a foot away which seemed to fix the interference problem. I also still need to install the wingtip j-pole, wire the APRS into ships power, and install a switch for those stealth missions. ;)

Back