What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Cross Country with APRS

grenwis

I took a long flight today south out of Denver and then west bound south of the big mountains to Page, AZ. Blue skies and sun shine the whole way. The tracker made it fun for family to track me and provided a great record of the path. Notice how few packets are missed on this 3 hour flight! I am using the 300mW unit and again had the J-pole antenna taped to the inside of the canopy crossbar, allowing it to droop on both sides where it was taped to the inside of the canopy. Most of the flight was at 14,500 ft. Trip report to follow after I get back. :D:D:D

http://aprs.fi/?call=ka4hrd&mt=m&z=11&timerange=21600

Rick Grenwis
RV6AQB - 200 hours

Outstanding, Rick!

I'm really pleased at the coverage. I think the APRS fans are cheering at this report! (myself included)

b,
d

Some missing positions on the return

I just got back and today's flight, along basically the same route, did not do as well. In fact, there is a long area near 4 Corners where it missed dozens in a row. Ignore the fact that the track does not start until well East of Page. I verified that the unit does not work if you forget to apply power!!

I think the answer is in the antenna. I think 300mW is probably plenty if the antenna has a good look at the world. The area east of Page is rugged to say the least, and if it got reception there, it'll work anywhere. I want to look at the raw data and see where the receptions were made. I bet they were long ones.

Rick Grenwis
RV6AQB - KA4HRD

Rick, I believe that we were higher going east (when the dropouts occurred) thus it may be an antenna issue (orientation?).

Or it may be that I was eating my sandwich during that time.

The antenna may be the key in the performance. I am not enthused with adding an external whip antenna that is a risk to my dog when he runs under the plane.

Alex,

Use KA4HRD or N789PH. That login page is odd. It just pops up every now and then.

It appears you can "login" with any name and see the map page. I've used "Charlie66" (for a "login" ID, not a Tracker ID) and any number of fictitious names and never been denied access.

Don

Last edited:
logging in

Don,
That will get you in, but if you just want to see a specific route, then you'll need the callsign of interest. Otherwise I think the site shows you all the recent points.
Rick

"LOGGING IN"

Don,
That will get you in, but if you just want to see a specific route, then you'll need the callsign of interest. Otherwise I think the site shows you all the recent points.
Rick

Correct. The topic, as your post indicates, was "LOGGING IN." :p That's what I was addressing. It's obvious you need to fill in the call sign of interest in the window (or it defaults already) in order to track a particular transmitter. :rolleyes:

Don

I've read enough, I'm hooked, how do I........

Guys: I've been following this forum for a month now and I want an APRS in my -9A. I think I need the MT 8000 with micro volt and some kind of box, antenna, and gps input. The box and antenna (belly mount) is easy, anyone know what pin outputs on the GNC 300XL is needed for the tracker? Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Dan

GNC 300

J101 pin 19: RS232 Out 2
pin 26 or 22: Ground

Config I/O Channel 2 Output as "plotting", it will output NMEA 0183 sentences.

Although I have Garmin GNC300XL in my panel, I purchased a Byonics GPS2
for my MT300.

Guys: I've been following this forum for a month now and I want an APRS in my -9A. I think I need the MT 8000 with micro volt and some kind of box, antenna, and gps input. The box and antenna (belly mount) is easy, anyone know what pin outputs on the GNC 300XL is needed for the tracker? Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Dan

Do you have a manual for your GNC 300XL? The manual has the schematic you need. I tried downloading one from Garmin but the download got stuck. I was able to get a GNC 300 schematic:

GNC300.jpg

Looks like either pin 19 or 24 will give you RS232 data out. That is all you will need for the tracker as long as the tracker is grounded to the airframe via power supply or antenna. Be sure you look at a GNC 300XL manual before connecting anything but the two units probably have similar pinouts.

Last edited:
Back