What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT 8000/Micro Volt problems

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: I having problems programming the MT(pre assembled and tested) and need some suggestions, help or both. I'm using a HP laptop with Vista, USB cable with female to female gender changer and a null modem. It uses comm port #5 which is set to 4800 baud with 8-n-1 set in the boxes. The antenna is attached and the gps is disconnected. When power is applied, the Micro Volt green LED comes on steady, the red and green MT LEDs initially illuminate, the green one flashes 3 times and goes dark. The red one comes on steady for a second or two, then off and then flashes once every 60 seconds or so. The computer can read the version but read/write fails with error code 128 32 or 33. At Sam's suggestion, I contacted Allen at VHS and he made several suggestions, all were tried, all failed to remedy the problem. I searched this forum and the Yahoo forum for error codes 128 32 or 33 and found that the most suspect was the computer, OS or USB cable, nothing definite, no good fixes. I leave on 29 Jun for a cross country trip to TN and convinced my wife that this unit was a good safety investment for the trip. Guys, I need some good suggestions/fixes really quick! Byonics is on vacation until 27 Jun. Also, does anyone know, for sure, which pinout from the Garmin GNS 300XL gps is needed for the MT. Thanks for replies, Dan.

Guys: I having problems programming the MT(pre assembled and tested) and need some suggestions, help or both. I'm using a HP laptop with Vista, USB cable with female to female gender changer and a null modem. It uses comm port #5 which is set to 4800 baud with 8-n-1 set in the boxes. The antenna is attached and the gps is disconnected. When power is applied, the Micro Volt green LED comes on steady, the red and green MT LEDs initially illuminate, the green one flashes 3 times and goes dark. The red one comes on steady for a second or two, then off and then flashes once every 60 seconds or so. The computer can read the version but read/write fails with error code 128 32 or 33. At Sam's suggestion, I contacted Allen at VHS and he made several suggestions, all were tried, all failed to remedy the problem. I searched this forum and the Yahoo forum for error codes 128 32 or 33 and found that the most suspect was the computer, OS or USB cable, nothing definite, no good fixes. I leave on 29 Jun for a cross country trip to TN and convinced my wife that this unit was a good safety investment for the trip. Guys, I need some good suggestions/fixes really quick! Byonics is on vacation until 27 Jun. Also, does anyone know, for sure, which pinout from the Garmin GNS 300XL gps is needed for the MT. Thanks for replies, Dan.

Dan, you have already asked the question about the pinout from the 300XL and it was answered definitively in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=220855#post220855

The red one comes on steady for a second or two, then off and then flashes once every 60 seconds or so.

I noticed when setting up a MicroTrak 300 that if a transmit (red light) happens during a transfer, the transfer will fail. I thought my cable was bad, until I figured out that timing issue.
If you ever get a read/write to happen, you can check "Only Send Valid" and that should supress transmits when there is no GPS attached.

It uses comm port #5 which is set to 4800 baud with 8-n-1 set in the boxes.
Where are these boxes? I don't see them in TinyTrak3Config. If you were fiddling with your COM port in some other program, make sure it's closed (the port and other program) before you use TinyTrak3Config.

Did you verify your connector is properly mounted? (not slightly misaligned, continuity to all pads)

Have you checked the voltage output of the MicroVolt?

And finally, I once built a serial adapter for my iPod... I thought the design and build was ok, but it refused to work. Turns out the USB serial dongle was out of spec somehow (cheap), and when I tried the built-in serial port in my laptop, everything worked just fine. If you have a computer with a built-in serial port, try that.

That's all I have...

Last edited:
USB to Serial cable problem

I had the same problem when using a USB/Serial cable I purchased on the internet. I tried three computers at home and never get it to work. However, it does work for the serial GPS I brought from Byonics. Finally I found an old computer with a serial port. When I plugged MT to it, it worked without any problem. Not all USB/Serial cables are made equally. Byonics sells a cable for $30. I am sure it works. You may either find a computer with serial port or purchase another USB/serial cable and try it.

Re: MT 8000/ Mirco Volt prolems

Guys: Thanks for all the timely suggestions. I bought a new cable, DB9 female to female with null modem. I took everything home and used my desktop which has a serial ouput on the back. Everything worked as advertized, I guess there is a computer/OS/USB conflict between my laptop and the MT 8000. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, several were right on the money. I owe you guys. Anyone coming to the Reno Air Races this September, I have a hangar that is "beach front property". The best show,the priliminary heat trials, is the Friday thru Tuesday before the official Wednesday race start. They line up in front of my hangar and you can actually watch and hear the mechanics and pilots conversations about how this "blanky blanky" thing won't start, run right, or go faster. Thanks again, Dan

Guys: Thanks for all the timely suggestions. I bought a new cable, DB9 female to female with null modem. I took everything home and used my desktop which has a serial ouput on the back. Everything worked as advertized, I guess there is a computer/OS/USB conflict between my laptop and the MT 8000. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, several were right on the money. I owe you guys. Anyone coming to the Reno Air Races this September, I have a hangar that is "beach front property". The best show,the priliminary heat trials, is the Friday thru Tuesday before the official Wednesday race start. They line up in front of my hangar and you can actually watch and hear the mechanics and pilots conversations about how this "blanky blanky" thing won't start, run right, or go faster. Thanks again, Dan

Great news Dan! Give us your call sign so we can look for you as you head our way on your trip to TN.

Re:MT 8000/Mirco Volt Problems

Sam: My call sigh is N65XX. I went to the avionics shop today armed with the info on I/O Channel 2 for the Garmin GNS 300XL. I turns out that getting to Channel 2 is in the pilot's manual not the technician's manual. For those who may need this info, here how you do it. Power up the radio, push and hold the MSG button until the menu comes up and keep cycling thru until you see I/O Channel 2, the last item. Use the curser to get down to output and rotate the small knob to select what you want. Don't forget to set the baud rate to 4800. The pin is #19 on the 37 connecter and it shows that it should be shielded 24AWG wire. Thanks again for the help everyone, Dan.

Back