What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for web pages and photos of panel & cabin forward

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm building the cabin forward and trying to plan the panel. Two Skyview HDX.
Also trying to plan the substructure for the panel to accommodate electronics.
I've looked through the "Panel" thread but so many photos have expired.
Tried searching and again photos are gone.
I would love to see builder web pages showing photos cabin forward and panels with Skyview HDX. Slider preferred as the structure is a little different.

Nothing against tippers but that's not what I'm building.:D

I'm a slider but using Garmin G3x touch rather than skyview.
I am managing to mount the various boxes on F7105 including the remote audio panel, engine monitor iterface, voltage control and network interface box together with a grounding bus bar.

That allows for F7105A to be cut out allowing the GTN650 to project forward and a VPX unit sitting below and hinged for access, once the control cables are moved.
That way I can remove one of the screens to get at the connections if needed rather than trying to get under the panel with my large bulk.
Cheers
Ian

A pic of my slider sub-panel. The hole left of the EMS module goes fwd through the firewall. The hold left of the transponder goes fwd and down between the pilot/copilot for things like AP, trim, flaps, lights, etc. I also have some circuit breakers on the panel for things I want direct control or visibility over.

ZLsKS9Xl.jpg

Last edited:
My site might give help

Mines Garmin also but might give you some ideas. Look over the last few years.
Google has stopped finding my site but if you search Bobby Hester RV in bing it will pop right up. Link in my signature. :)

Last edited:
Hi Larry ... here's how my bird is coming together. I elected to build a avionics tray that mounts to the bottom of the ribs from the firewall to the subpanel. It's secured by piano hinges; the pins come out the front side of the subpanel and it simply drops down and can be removed for maintenance I'm going Garmin, so this panel holds the remote comm radio, transponder, EIS box, battery backup and CO detector. All wiring from the aft comes through four connectors in the tray near the firewall:

i-tK7h36c-L.jpg

Here's what it looks like installed in the plane:

i-xdLL4z3-L.jpg

The subpanel is relatively uncrowded and primarily used for power distribution. I moved the panel ribs inboard to accommodate the G3X display width. This area is left open as well to be the home of a possible future IFR navigator or other panel mounted box.

i-xpDCvP2-L.jpg

All the wiring from the rest of the plane comes in via the tunnel in the cabin.

i-vwNrk3s-L.jpg

Here's an early photo of the panel blank in place (cut by UpNorth Aviation ... did a fantastic job!) This will be the home of two G3X panels, ADAHRS, AP control, compass (left side) and Alt and ASI 2 1/4 steamies (top center). The compass hole was placed to enable upsizing to 3 1/8" to accept a standalone EFI (like a G5, etc). Requisite switches and knobs go along the bottom. Note, this panel was fabbed with a 1" extension downwards; the Garmin HW and switches don't really fit on a stock Vans' panel.

i-GtgGb9x-L.jpg

All the other electronics boxes are elsewhere in the plane (wings, tailcone, etc). Everything seems to fit well and cleanly ... just like a tipper should! ;-)

This just in ... panel photo update!

i-3NPW8jc-L.jpg

Last edited:
larry,

I'm at a similar point an here's what I'm doing. You might find it useful. I'm planning to buy all Dynon stuff so I got the unit dimensions from their website and made up cardboard replicas so I could play around with positions. Turns out that I will be able to fit everything on the aft face of that panel just forward of the instrument panel. What this means (I think) is that I can reasonably expect to be able to install it all after riveting on the forward top skin, but just removing the instrument panel for access.

I'll try posting pictures.

r
Ivan

uycoaRA.jpg
oujZbQ6.jpg

Was at the PNW Aviation Conf yesterday - saw the Dynon Quick Panel display. Have you looked at those? Wow.. very nice. And a dual Skyview panel for an RV7/9 with auto pilot, ADAHRS, COM WAAS GPS, Mode S ADSB IN/OUT Intercom, AOA, 406 ELT, switches/ignition WIFI... all for $19.995 VFR!! saves hours and hours of your time doing wiring and fit up..

http://dynonavionics.com/quick-panels.php

Cardboard mock up

Ivan, Thanks.
I planned to do the same. What goes in the hole in the subpanel on the right?

Ivan, Thanks.

That's for the map box. Since my budget will only support a single Dynon screen I figured I'd add the map box to have a little storage room. I made it removable so it will be another way to access the area without crawling under.

Dynon Install

Ivan,

Did you move forward with your layout/plan? I am working on layout out the dynon equipment as well.

Mike

larry,

I'm at a similar point an here's what I'm doing. You might find it useful. I'm planning to buy all Dynon stuff so I got the unit dimensions from their website and made up cardboard replicas so I could play around with positions. Turns out that I will be able to fit everything on the aft face of that panel just forward of the instrument panel. What this means (I think) is that I can reasonably expect to be able to install it all after riveting on the forward top skin, but just removing the instrument panel for access.

I'll try posting pictures.

r
Ivan

uycoaRA.jpg
oujZbQ6.jpg

Finalized my sub-panel layout

Mike

I played around with it this weekend and I think I have finalized where I will mount everything on the subpanel. It all appears to fit easily.

I'll try posting an updated picture, but it doesn't always work for me.

YzeCd

Anyway, I have the EMS over toward the right to facilitate leading all the sensor leads forward through the firewall penetration on the right. I've also installed my fuse block on a hinged panel and a central grounding buss in the center.

Again, my plan is to go ahead and rivet the forward top skin and install the windshield all before buying the Dynon equipment. I believe this arrangement will allow me to install everything

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

yZkVB

htwqVS

YzeCd

I cannot for the life of me seem to be able to master this image posting thing.

Last edited:
Ivan, Thanks.

Larry,

If you plan to install an IFR navigator (e.g. Garmin/Avidyne), you'll want to keep a section in the middle of the sub-panel open. Most of those boxes are 9+ inches long and will need to protrude through the sub-panel.

I did not plan for one in my photo but now wish I had. Re-arranging everything later is a PITA, as I am finding with a GNS-480 installation in a friend's completed -7.

Last edited:
FOR box

Larry,

If you plan to install an IFR navigator (e.g. Garmin/Avidyne), you'll want to keep a section in the middle of the sub-panel open. Most of those boxes are 9+ inches long and will need to protrude through the sub-panel.

I did not plan for one in my photo but now wish I had. Re-arranging everything later is a PITA, as I am finding with a GNS-480 installation in a friends completed -7.

Yes. I looked up the dimensions. Those boxes are huge!

Panel with HDX

I'm doing my panel now with 1 HDX, 1 Garmin 430, and the Dynon D6 for backup. You can see photos on mykitlog.com/sglynn. I had to make access holes in the sub-panel to accommodate the depth of the Garmin and D6.

www.mykitlog.com/sglynn

Back