What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking tank nose bracket

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I have the standard leaky tank problem on the front nose bracket. I know there's a guy that will fix them, but I want to do it myself. My searches bring up a lot of different answers. I'd like to fix it on the plane by pulling through some sealer with a vacuum. Has anyone done that?

Thanks,

I'd not use vacuum - it isn't clear how much the tank would take prior to damage, which could be sudden and catastrophic.

Drain the tank, clean the whole area well with scotchbrite and a solvent such as acetone. Mix pro-seal and cover the whole area near the leak. Cover all of the old pro-seal as well as further out onto the aluminum than the original.

I had a leak in that area after 2 years of flying, fixed it exactly as I just described, and it hasn't leaked in 13 more years (I'm not implying that one data point is conclusive).

Fuel Tank Leak

I experienced similar leak on the RV-9A (8 years old at the time) fuel tank at the nose bracket. I removed the tank, drained fuel, pressurized the tank with 1 pound of pressure, and sprayed with soapy solution. When I was certain where the leak was, I removed as much old Pro Seal as possible, scuffed the aluminum parts and cleaned them with acetone.

Then mixed acetone with new Pro Seal to thin it out. Hook vacuum pump up to tank and suctioned it slightly. Coated the leaking area with "thinned" Pro Seal and let it set.

A few days later, I reinstalled the tank, filled with AVGAS and have been flying for five more years with no problem. YMMV

I have the standard leaky tank problem on the front nose bracket. I know there's a guy that will fix them, but I want to do it myself. My searches bring up a lot of different answers. I'd like to fix it on the plane by pulling through some sealer with a vacuum. Has anyone done that?

Thanks,

You can easily make more pressure with a syringe from the outside. 50-80 psi.

If you can get to the area, that is.

Bill,

I recently (re)did the repair being discussed. My leaks were around the bracket/skin interface. Very difficult to make the nose of a syringe seal up to anything there. I do love the idea for skin rivets, though.

Charlie

Back