What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skin to longeron to F-711 rivet

wirejock

Well Known Member
New question. Drilling skin to longeron holes and found one virtually impossible to set.
How did you all set that one rivet on each side? It's going to be right up against the F-711D angle.
142bybt.jpg

Last edited:
New question. Drilling skin to longeron holes and found one virtually impossible to set.
How did you all set that one rivet on each side? It's going to be right up against the F-711D angle.
142bybt.jpg

The F-711D angle gets riveted after riveting skin to bulkhead. I reached it by using a tungsten bar with my arm thru the top the of the deck. Not as bad as it may seem.

Last edited:
Thats not the last one you'll run into on the longeron, either. Wait til you work your way forward to the 704, I think. There is a rivet there that I didn't have a bucking bar capable of setting.

F-711D

I riveted the F-711D angle in place. Sounds like I should drill it and remove it till later.
Confirm please?

F-711

Yes, I just did this. Remove the F-711 angle, rivet the skins to longerons to bulkheads and reinstall the F-711 angle.

I riveted the F-711D angle in place. Sounds like I should drill it and remove it till later.
Confirm please?

If it's just the one rivet on each side why not put in an MK319BS (or similar) blind rivet and move on? It's under the HS so no one will see it unless they're looking for something out of place.

Last edited:
Rivet

If it's just the one rivet on each side why not put in an MK319BS (or similar) blind rivet and move on? It's under the HS so no one will see it unless they're looking for something out of place.

I would but there's no room for any shop head. I will have to remove it (2 rivets) and modicy it a little so those two shop heads will clear. No worries. Easy to drill two rivets. The hard part is remembering to do it.:eek: I already stuck a post it note in my log.:D

Problem with that particular rivet is when you go to install your emp fairing. The drawing calls for a screw right there. I talked to Van's and they said I could drill the rivet out, tap the longeron, and leave the inner rib hole empty.

I wouldn't drill out the F711. You might cause more damage needing more fixing. This is a "known" issue with the QB fuselage. After going around with Van's I ended up buying some special length pop rivets that worked. MK319 are too short. They had to be set gradually and pushed in as I went. I have no screw there for the fairing.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Lots to consider.
There's no room for a screw or rivet unless the angle is removed and the ends relieved a tiny bit. I will give it a good look when the fuse is disassembled for prep work. At that point the bulkhead will easy to access without the longeron installed. I should be able to drill the two rivets no problem.

I wouldn't drill out the F711. You might cause more damage needing more fixing. This is a "known" issue with the QB fuselage. After going around with Van's I ended up buying some special length pop rivets that worked. MK319 are too short. They had to be set gradually and pushed in as I went. I have no screw there for the fairing.

Would you mind sharing what pop rivet you got to work in this location? Im building a 7A quickbuild and this rivet is not factory set and impossible to set now with the deck and angles already done at the factory

Back