What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broke my Xponder

pilotmansam

Well, here's a new problem... I gave a BIG guy a ride in my RV-6 today, and while he was getting in (maybe I should say "installed") he snagged and broke off one of the code selector knobs on my Bendix-King KT-76A transponder. Right now I can't even find the knob. :-( It broke off very cleanly leaving just a hole in the front plate. Anybody know if this is likely to be repairable? I cannot seem to find a manual on this xponder anywhere.

Well, here's a new problem... I gave a BIG guy a ride in my RV-6 today, and while he was getting in (maybe I should say "installed") he snagged and broke off one of the code selector knobs on my Bendix-King KT-76A transponder. Right now I can't even find the knob. :-( It broke off very cleanly leaving just a hole in the front plate. Anybody know if this is likely to be repairable? I cannot seem to find a manual on this xponder anywhere.

I would hit up some local avionics shops, almost anybody that works on transponders will have some dead KT76A's around that they can scrounge parts from. If you can't find anything local let me know.

PS: I hate fragile protrusions from the bottom of the panel, the same thing happens quite often to the miniature toggles that folks mount low on the panel.

Last edited:
I had to buy a manual on line for $18. Could not find one free anywhere.

However :) I just happen to have a KT-76A with a recent yellow tag, looking very good, that I will part with for $450. (and throw in the manual pdf file)

(I was going to use KT-76A in the RV-8 but ran across a used mode S Becker and will go with it instead.)

I managed to download a manual, can't remember where from, but I googled it. Don't have time now but a quick look through didn't show any info about knobs.

Back