What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge distance for F-796B

Draker

Well Known Member
I've gone through a couple of angles, having a heckuva time getting correct edge distance on the F-796B angle that holds the fuel tank attach bracket. This angle nestles against the F-902 bulkhead in such a way that maintaining edge distance on the lower (#12 screw) hole is impossible. I'll see if I can get some pics of my "best" effort. Lots of scrap being produced on this one. Any tips? Anyone have a picture of a correctly constructed piece?

F796B L&R

I have a couple photos and a description on my blog if it helps. I do remember it was a pain. More pain trying to get at the nuts. I made a set of this wall sockets for that. Buy sockedits from the Thrift Store and grind them down. Cheap tools.

Thanks again, Larry. Yours actually looks as close to the edge as mine. Might have to double check my measurement. I?m still afraid once I open it up to #12 I bust distance.

Who you gonna call?

I had the same dilemma, even ordered parts to remake. But a quick email to Vans and they replied with a return phone call and we found an adequate solution. Great service from Vans support. And now it is documented, so if there ever is a question, I have an official response.

Thanks again, Larry. Yours actually looks as close to the edge as mine. Might have to double check my measurement. I?m still afraid once I open it up to #12 I bust distance.

Ryan
Keep us posted. If it's nested right in the space there's nothing else that can be done. A call to Vans to document as mentioned might be in order. I still think I hit the edge distance because I always mark parts before drilling.
That said, there's several places on the fuse where it was impossible and I asked Vans to confirm.

I had the same dilemma, even ordered parts to remake. But a quick email to Vans and they replied with a return phone call and we found an adequate solution. Great service from Vans support. And now it is documented, so if there ever is a question, I have an official response.

So for all the builders that we see this thread and have the same dilemma ....please share Van?s solution :D

Advice from Vans was to get as much edge distance as possible.

If you do the math it?s actually impossible to get sufficient distance:

According to the plans, the holes must be centered 15/32" from the forward edge of the angle. Since this is 3/4" angle, this means the hole must be centered 3/4? minus 15/32" = 9/32" from the aft edge of the angle. The plans also suggest the center of the hole is approx. 9/32? vertically from the top edge.

The final size of these holes will be 3/16" and #12. A 3/16" hole centered 9/32? from an edge leaves 3/16? edge distance which is obviously too small. That?s the best case if you?re right on the money with your drilling. Best I got was 5/32? and I?m going to leave that as is.

I can't understand why vans uses fractions when industry standard is thousands of a inch. It's not like the scales are rare.
I worked at falcon jet for a few weeks, **** millimeters!

Back