Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Whoa. That was... ugly. I don't mean to pile on and criticize, but you probably shouldn't be doing that with only 50 hrs of RV time. Your basic controllability just looked sloppy and you had too much back and forth with your head. Learn to fly that thing and fly it well, then ease into this stuff. Eyes on lead, hand on throttle (no brakes!), and use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner69 View Post
We routinely do dissimilar aircraft departures. If the lighter aircraft gets airborne before the lead, just stay in formation. If you ride a little high (which will keep the runway in sight) there'll be no issue with descending onto the landing surface. When the lead gets airborne, assume your normal position.
Yep! I've done numerous takeoffs like that in a AT-6 flying wing on a T-28A; the small engine T-28 is a lead sled with a long takeoff roll. The T-6, while it has less power, it's ready to fly much sooner... so I just ease the power back, lift off and maintain position while raising the gear. Once the -28 is airborne with gear coming up he starts to accelerate (finally!), then I power back up and hold position. Fun stuff...
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2018
Old 12-07-2018, 01:33 PM

New to the RV, mainly mil background, almost never flew with less than a two ship. Why no brakes at 50 kts? I realize the potential to mash on the brakes and blow tires. The faster you are the more friction you can make and quick to blow tires. But wouldn’t a small application be ok? It would/should result in a binary type correction, as in an instant reduction in speed (and position). Power will almost always require at least a two point correction (though prop more responsive than jet). I am not suggesting I taught folks to use brakes in the day, but have used them in similar cases in jets.

2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM

50 knots in a jet is just starting to get some aerodynamic force. 50 knots in an RV is rotation speed. Big difference on the effects of brake application.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:06 PM

Formation flying is a learned skill as is getting you instrument ticket or any other flying upgrade. I see guys doing formation flying that is downright dangerous! Im not trying to be mean or takeaway your ability as a pilot but there is a right and a wrong way to learn, you wouldn't get your IFR rating by flying in the clouds yourself for the first time, would you? When we start with new formation guys they always have a back seater (a qualified back seater) until he or she has all the basic fundamentals and can understand many of the "what ifs". We require the understanding of hand signals, and an understanding of the (T-34 FKG, Please read. I have seen to many
accidents and we don't need anymore!
Pittstown, New Jersey
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtac View Post
New to the RV, mainly mil background, almost never flew with less than a two ship. Why no brakes at 50 kts? I realize the potential to mash on the brakes and blow tires. The faster you are the more friction you can make and quick to blow tires. But wouldn’t a small application be ok? It would/should result in a binary type correction, as in an instant reduction in speed (and position). Power will almost always require at least a two point correction (though prop more responsive than jet). I am not suggesting I taught folks to use brakes in the day, but have used them in similar cases in jets.
Yea, agreed- So this brake tap stuff in an RV is all about a very experienced (fixed pitch prop only) formation pilot that just taps the brakes somewhere between 10 to 35kts in the takeoff run. This is because of the fixed pitch power acceleration of the prop. tapping the brakes is an advanced technique to stop forward acceleration and not have to pull throttle-> that will pull the prop/power rpm out of a fixed pitch prop. "tapping the brakes" is not close to flat spotting a tire. If you're on the mains and getting light- need to watch it even if you want to use this technique. I would use a quick power Out-in at that point, -Again- highly experienced formation pilots only- Please understand that a constant speed prop pilot can totally disregard this conversation.

Brad Ransom
http://www.westcoastravens.com
RV-6A 180HP-acquired
RV-4 180HP-acquired
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Misleading Title

I would not call that a formation takeoff..

2 planes on the same runway at the same time... but not a formation take off.

Get some formal training and be careful out there.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do