What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rudder Build Critique ?

kjowen

Well Known Member
Guys,
I continue to finish empennage components. I gotta a few concerns about my workmanship. Take a look and let me know if there are any issues. Thank you.

1) Rudder bend - It's not pretty, but would it cause any issues down the road?
2) The R-809 (fiberglass tip) does not seat with as close a tolerance to the R-713 (counter balance skin) and R-801PP (rudder skin) as I have viewed finished aircraft. Should I be concerned with these or keep building?
IMG_2678_zpsaixe3d4g.jpg

IMG_2679_zpsk4rhkksn.jpg

IMG_2683_zps6f3fs5ux.jpg

IMG_2683_zps6f3fs5ux.jpg

RV8 parts

The bend on the front of these controls is a pain. Won't really cause any issues and its pretty hidden in there. I would worry about it.

The fiberglass stands a bit high because the inside flange will hit the alum rib on top. No big deal. It will look fine when it painted unless you're going for a showplane.

Build on and don't worry about little details like this. If you're really unhappy when airplane is done you can build another rudder in a weekend.

First off, I don't see any airworthiness issues.
On the tips, to get a better fit, you can take a sanding block with a sharp edge and sand the joint square. This area has a filet from the molding process and needs to be squared up so the fiberglass tip will regress into the rudder. Make sure you keep that line straight when you sand. Draw a line for reference.

How are you bending the leading edge? Are those dents?
One method is to tape the leading edge down with strong tape to a pipe. Roll the edge while keeping the skin and pipe flat on your table. Vice Grips can be used to grab the pipe. It takes pressure to keep the pipe down on the table while your rolling it and keep the skin down too.

We had a special pipe that allowed the flange to sit in a machined slot that made it easier, but you can still do it with standard schedule #40 plumbers pipe.

Lastly, take a straight edge and lay it on the spar edgewise and down to the traiking edge. This should be straight all the way to the traiking edge bend.

Steve was typing while I was.
I do, mostly, agree with Steve, however, this is one place I look when evaluating workmanship. I look here because it is one area that tells me how the rest of the build might be.

What is acceptable is up to you. Odds are it will fly just the same the way it is.

By the way, if you can built a rudder in a weekend, your hired, unless it looks like this. Sorry, but I am picky and there is a price to pay in the time it takes to do things "right", at least in my terms. That is just me....

Last edited:
The fiberglass fit on my -8 tail was bad. I would get the fiberglass fit up on the vertical stab and see how they match up. Mine took alot of work. Reglassing, filling, sanding, etc untill it looked like it should and match the VS fiberglass. Especially if you want to cap the VS glass in front of the rudder counterbalance.

aoqcs7.jpg

29m6akp.jpg

1fkadw.jpg

sp7p0x.jpg

Thanks guys!

1) I did use a 1" diameter pipe to roll the leading edge, but reworked it several times because I was not happy with the result. I ended up rolling it in sections instead of along the whole length. It is smooth although the pictures look like it has some dents.
2) Good input on the fiberglass tips. thank you to all.

You should get your local Tech Counselor to come over and give you some feedback. This is a perfect time in the life of your project to get some feedback and they can do a much better job in person than someone can do by looking at a couple of photos on the internet.

Ken,

It looks like your 3rd RV but maybe your first build?

This is the type of thing that you have to set your own priorities and preferences on. Generally, on this forum, when you post a question on whatever conundrum you?re facing, your going to get answers ranging from ?build on?, to ?OMG! Don?t do that, you?ll crash and die for sure?. You?re going to have to find the path in there that you?re comfortable with.

If you?re a perfectionist or are building a show plane, admit it to yourself now and you will struggle less with these but it WILL slow you down. Keep in mind that you?re likely to have periods where your motivation will wane and this won?t help. Likewise, if you?re building a plane just to fly, perfect and perfectly airworthy are two different things. Do strive at all times for at least the latter. Sloppy can hardly be airworthy.

My rudder looks pretty much like yours. When it?s bolted up to the vertical stab you?ll never really see the imperfection. And I can tell you, as I fast approach 600 hours in my 8, I have never even once noticed my imperfect rudder leading edge bend. Too busy smiling!

Awesome Jesse! Thank you!

IMHO, you hit the nail right on the head, at least for me.
Your comments are very encouraging to a 1st time builder - mostly going about this alone. (Although as mentioned in the previous post -- a Tech Counselor is a great idea and in my near future)
Safe and airworthy is of course the minimum acceptable result.
In all likely-hood, the only way I'll fly my own show-plane is to buy one.
But we all keep trying to improve.
thanks.

Ken,

It looks like your 3rd RV but maybe your first build?

This is the type of thing that you have to set your own priorities and preferences on. Generally, on this forum, when you post a question on whatever conundrum you?re facing, your going to get answers ranging from ?build on?, to ?OMG! Don?t do that, you?ll crash and die for sure?. You?re going to have to find the path in there that you?re comfortable with.

If you?re a perfectionist or are building a show plane, admit it to yourself now and you will struggle less with these but it WILL slow you down. Keep in mind that you?re likely to have periods where your motivation will wane and this won?t help. Likewise, if you?re building a plane just to fly, perfect and perfectly airworthy are two different things. Do strive at all times for at least the latter. Sloppy can hardly be airworthy.

My rudder looks pretty much like yours. When it?s bolted up to the vertical stab you?ll never really see the imperfection. And I can tell you, as I fast approach 600 hours in my 8, I have never even once noticed my imperfect rudder leading edge bend. Too busy smiling!

Back