What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel protection for Vinyl wrapping

BDFLYER

I'll be wrapping using Avery vinyl film. Unfortunately, one needs to put another clear film on top of the vinyl where fuel may spill into the vinyl (fuel + vinyl = really bad).

Any thoughts on the best film to use for this protective layer?

(fuel + vinyl = really bad).

Is that what the mfgr said? While I probably wouldn't do it in an a/c, it's not uncommon to see vinyl tubing being used for gas line in some 'terrestrial' situations.

I'm toying with the idea of wrapping my wings, but fuel messing with the wrap would likely be a deal breaker. Is it the vinyl itself, or the adhesive that is vulnerable? Does this apply to all brands, or just this particular brand?

Charlie

3M says their wrapping vinyl is protected against gasoline (as long as its wiped off quicky). I would check with Avery but they should be the same.

My RV-7A is now over 3 years and about 650 hours into an all-over vinyl wrap job by AircraftWraps.com using the 3M airliner-grade vinyl wrap. I have spilled far more 100LL over the wings overfilling the tanks than I am proud of. Absolutely zero impact on the vinyl wrap.

As mentioned above, make sure you're using the right vinyl. The 3M aviation stuff scoffs at 100LL. :cool:

My RV-7A is now over 3 years and about 650 hours into an all-over vinyl wrap job by AircraftWraps.com using the 3M airliner-grade vinyl wrap. I have spilled far more 100LL over the wings overfilling the tanks than I am proud of. Absolutely zero impact on the vinyl wrap.

As mentioned above, make sure you're using the right vinyl. The 3M aviation stuff scoffs at 100LL. :cool:

Do you happen to know the exact product was used on yours? I didn't find anything useful when I Googled Airline Grade vinyl. Thx

EDIT FROM SCROLL: I’ll look next time I’m at the hangar.

FOLLOW-UP EDIT FROM SCROLL: OK, it's the 3M 1080 airline-grade line of vinyl film.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an automotive grade of 3M vinyl on my wings - and I can assure you that it easily stains and will dissolve under prolonged contact with 100LL.

I asked aircraft wraps once what their special trade secret product was. They brushed me off.
Six years and 500+ hours now on my 3M 1080 colors and Avery Conform Chrome. While I have polished aluminum on top of most the wings, fuel spills have happened fore and aft to the vinyl with no adverse affect.
I would seam seal arround the fuel caps for sure to help keep fuel from seeping under.
As always YMMV. ��

PS:
Cast vinyl is what you want, and the best grade and brands plays into it as well. calendared Vinyls you do not want. And pre colored solids will last longer than custom printed in most cases. Custom printed graphics add another variable based on the quality of the inks and such.

I have lots of the 3M 1080 in the Hangar, I’ll slap some on a sheet of aluminum and fuel test it, with the seam sealer, and without.

Last edited:
May I ask what the expiricend builders put under the vinyl? Is corrosion protection needed or can the wrapping take place on bare aluminium?

May I ask what the expiricend builders put under the vinyl? Is corrosion protection needed or can the wrapping take place on bare aluminium?

Nothing, unnecessary weight. The vinyl protects the aluminum. Also, we didn't get crazy with pinholes: The vinyl covers them. However, the vinyl will highlight imperfections in the composite surfaces, so you do want a decent surface sanding and gap fill job.

Do you happen to know the exact product was used on yours? I didn't find anything useful when I Googled Airline Grade vinyl. Thx

EDIT FROM SCROLL: I?ll look next time I?m at the hangar.

OK, it's the 3M 1080 airline-grade line of vinyl film.

I used 3m 1080 directly onto freshly cleaned alclad aluminum. Interior skins were primed and a couple areas on the exterior where the alclad had a scratch.

The factory vinyl was left on as long as possible (only removed along rivet lines) to prevent wear and tear on the alclad.

After 3.5 years and 200+ hrs airborne it’s standing up quite well. There’s absolutely no lifting around the fuel filler holes, nor any problem with any of the lettering.

The airplane is always hangared.

Bevan

dfyv4h.jpg

Last edited:
Vinyl

I'm curious how the skins look when it's removed after a long period.
I have samples outside for about two years. One bare Alclad. One is P60G2. Yes, I know P60G2 is just a wash primer and not intended to be used without a top coat. It's just a sample for testing and P60G2 is all I had at the time. Last one is Alodine.
I plan to pull the vinyl before I start applying to the airplane.

I’ve been pulling some 5 year old 1080 and Avery chrome vinyl, it has been mostly hangared with 550 Hobbs hours. So far pretty easy to pull with heat, then some clean up with alcohol where the 3M adhesive primer was applied.
And now I am recovering with new vinyl due to some “changes”. This is giving me a chance to improve on my install plus debunk some common fears.
I have yet to fully test for fuel resistance, but accasional spills have been fine.
I’ll post some pictures if I find the time.

One fear; Can it be removed after a number of years? Yes. But same product on a truck out in the sun 24/7 I would guess to be a much more difficult job, as pros have expressed.

Last edited:
Vinyl

I?ve been pulling some 5 year old 1080 and Avery chrome vinyl, it has been mostly hangared with 550 Hobbs hours. So far pretty easy to pull with heat, then some clean up with alcohol where the 3M adhesive primer was applied.
And now I am recovering with new vinyl due to some ?changes?. This is giving me a chance to improve on my install plus debunk some common fears.
I have yet to fully test for fuel resistance, but accasional spills have been fine.
I?ll post some pictures if I find the time.

One fear; Will it come off. Yes. But same product on a truck out in the sun 24/7 I would guess to be a much more difficult job as pros have expressed.

Good to know. Every time I mention wrapping my airplane I get this face. :eek:

Good to know. Every time I mention wrapping my airplane I get this face. :eek:

I painted lots of custom cars in my life panelizing, freak drops, endless line, flames, drips, candies etc. I wrapped my airplane with Avery diamond blue and white and while I get no staining around the fuel fills and zero lifting with no edge tape in this area, I did get a little spot of blue where some av gas collected and sat for a long period of time unnoticed. I suspect this would have happened with paint as well. I don't miss having to worry about dust in the paint or trying to touch up a tri coat paint job anymore. The product I used had very heavy metal flake like an old jet boat or a bumper car and this would be hard to do with Mylar flakes in paint, it was pretty simple in vinyl. No dust, no runs, no fish eyes, no compatibility issues, no worry's, man what a difference from paint work. You always had to worry about any oils from skin getting on the surface with paint etc. this is soooo much easier and it's been very durable.

There's one product you don't want near vinyl wrap though and it's a pretty common product especially when camping at Sanford or osh, deep woods off it will destroy it! Another added bonus to vinyl is you can removes bugs and wax your airplane easily with plexus ! Takes very little time to get it sparkling with little no water used at all. Occasionally if I'm using plexus sparingly I'll use a spray bottle of water on the leading edge to soften bugs up first then plexus produces a finish so smooth you can't set anything on the wing without it sliding off on the ground.

Last edited:
Back