What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-200 Flap Setup

Kundog

I'm New Here
I'm trying to fix the flaps on an RV10. The flaps will stop in the full up position and the 2 middle positions. The problem I'm having is it will not stop in the full down position, the motor keeps running until the breaker trips. It has a position sensor and the position data shows up on the display. When I set the positions the flaps will not stop on or near the setting I have entered. I have followed the instruction in the manual, but it's not working.

Can anyone help?

Flaps

The VP-200 has a flap run-on protection system that stops the flaps after (I think) 30 seconds.

Is this happening in the air? Was it working before and now not working, or is this part of initial config?

It is likely that the flaps do not extend to get to the setting you've inputted as the down setting. This could be an increment or decrement to get there, depending on the setup.

The VP-X manual has a much better flap troubleshooting and setup section than the VP-200. The interface is different but the underlying systems are similar. I recommend you look there for guidance. PM me if you have more questions.

Thanks for the replay. Come to fine out that the VP doesn't have control over the flap position. From what I can tell, the flap control switches go through the VP and then tells a flap control unit to make the move. The flap control unit is connected to a sensor that will stop in preset positions. This sensor was the problem with the flaps not stopping in the down position. I adjusted the sensor and the flaps stopped. There is a pot that tells the VP the flap position. I still have some work to do because the VP is getting runaway alarms.

Yes, the potentiometer must be working correctly, and the unit must be configured correctly to interpret the position data properly.

Also keep in mind that the flaps may not extend as far in the air as on the ground due to air loads, so if the limits are set very close to the end stops the pot may never show the flaps get to that point and trip the protection.

Back