What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temp Hartzell prop bolts size?

Levrie

Hello folks,

Does any one know what the best size 'temporary' prop mounting bolts are please?

I have a standard Vans package Hartzell VP and Lycoming IO360M1B setup to install.

I've used some undersized bolts and spacers to help align the prop back plate to the engine crank flange as per the Vans fitting instructions but there's still a little movement. I'm trying to avoid making an error on the final trimming and alignment of the top cowling trim etc.

Any help gratefully appreciated, width, length and thread type too!

Cheers. David

I am not in a spot to be able to confidently tell you the bolt dia and thread, sorry.
I do remember it is the fine UNF thread for the diameter. I had some NOS AN bolts in the bin that fit the hub. Just can't remember the diameter.

But...... I did want to mention that I did the back plate jigging like you mentioned and wound up with the top of the top cowl too high. I suspect it is the weight of the prop but I have never done the differential sag measurements to confirm it. (I feel better if I can blame it on something other than me just screwing up, so I may never measure it) :rolleyes:.
It was off position right away, not after many hrs of running and it really has not changed in 600 hrs.

You might want to put the prop on just once before making that final cut.

Thanks Bill,

Yes I agree that I will have to mount the prop on the final trim sequence!

There must be loads of people that have used temp bolts per vans, the question is.....where are they?!

Many thanks for your input though!

Regards David

Back