What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Shottkey and alternator wiring advice

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
My diode for the independent EI battery buss has two paths ( two parallel diodes on the diagram). Can/should they be wired in parallel ,ie common power to both inputs and common output wire to the EI buss ? For clarity, this buss is a free standing power supply with battery for the second EI, and continuously charged from the main buss.

BandC has advised is it acceptable to route the field wire through the firewall with the B lead. The only caveat was they have heard of radio noise in unspecified models and configs. Do you have any advice to pass on ?

Comments most appreciated.

Hi Larry,

Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with wiring diodes in parallel. I do it for the isolation diodes for my main bus. The 2 diodes will split the load and each will dissipate 50% of the power.

Now for the disclaimers: it?s difficult to give advice on electrical things without seeing a schematic or wiring diagram and I have no practical experience with EI products.

Strictly speaking, you can get into trouble with this. The forward voltage drop is temperature dependent, so (1) the diodes should be as identical as possible, and (2) they should be ?thermally connected? (share a common heat sink).

As long as each diode is capable of carrying the full load by itself,
there is no concern about connecting two diodes in parallel.

Back