What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Alternator no charge high rpm

mbert

I?ve recently had issues with my new AL12-EI60/B Hartzell Plane Power Alternator. The unit only has 47 hours on it purchased in July.

Normal Volts Battery: 12.0-12.2
Normal Volts Alternator: 14.3-14.5
Amps normal load: 2-4
Amps max load: 14-17 (all electrical equipment on)

Symptoms are a little strange. The alternator produces power at low RPM (700-1800) but above 1800 rpm it will intermittently charge the battery and or eventually not charge at all above 2300 rpm.

When not charging my alternator inoperative light illuminates and I show 0 amp output from the alternator and the volts return to battery level of 12.2. This displays on 3 separate instruments so I?m fairly certain it?s not an indication issue.

I?ve shot the wiring and have not found any issue while the engine is off; plus the alternator functions at low rpm. I also replaced the alternator field switch but still have the same symptoms.

Please let me know if you have anymore troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks!

Engine torque

Maybe as the engine torque increases it is causing some wiring (or grounding) issues?

Last edited:
Check for proper belt breakaway torque, at the pulley, for proper belt tension. The new belt spec is 11-13 ft/lb and the used belt spec is 7-9 ft/lb. Also, closely look at the belt for wear that slicks up the belt and thins the width not allowing enough surface area and friction to prevent belt slip under load.

This would be the first place to look for a problem.

Reference Lycoming SI#1129D

GM

My PP 60a alternator just failed at 12 hours total time. It is getting replaced under warranty but my plane is AOG for now. I am out the cost of overnighting the alternator and a week of flying. Had I done more research I would have gone B&C externally regulated.

-Jason

PP alternator

I quit Plane Power when they got bought out. No customer service and two failures in 200 hours. Went back to Denso, they may fail after a few hundred hours, but warranty and available.

Plane Power

I just had my 2 year old PP alternator fixed at no charge and service was great. It had a 3 year warranty and they overnighted it back to me so I could make an airshow. Great service.

Similar issue

The Alt Lamp indicator from my PP AL 12-EI60 started to come on at various RPM. I removed the alternator and disassembled it. I discovered a broken wire from the stator windings to the diode "pack" (There are 4 of these wires) -- at certain RPMs would cause this wire junction to open.

This failure happened at ~45 hours on the alternator.

Good guy to contact is:

Timothy Gauntt
334-386-5441
tgauntt at hartellenginetech dot com

B

Thanks to all for the responses. I did a lot of trouble shooting by following the Plane Power Troubleshooting guide and your recommendations. Ended up returning the unit to Hartzell who were incredibly friendly and prompt to check it for me. They determined nothing was wrong and sent back the unit free of charge and with a new pigtail plug (for the alternator field wire). I switched out the new pigtail plug with the old one on the plane and discovered the old one?s alternator field wire was coming loose. Thus the problem of erratic charging was discovered.

Future recommendation is to tug all the wiring a bit more firm to determine if it?s coming loose.

Overall great learning and exceptional service from Hartzell/Plane Power experts.

Thanks to all for the responses. I did a lot of trouble shooting by following the Plane Power Troubleshooting guide and your recommendations. Ended up returning the unit to Hartzell who were incredibly friendly and prompt to check it for me. They determined nothing was wrong and sent back the unit free of charge and with a new pigtail plug (for the alternator field wire). I switched out the new pigtail plug with the old one on the plane and discovered the old one?s alternator field wire was coming loose. Thus the problem of erratic charging was discovered.

Future recommendation is to tug all the wiring a bit more firm to determine if it?s coming loose.

Overall great learning and exceptional service from Hartzell/Plane Power experts.

Put some RTV or Glue, or better still, the rubber grommets on those wires to keep them from breaking in the future.

Back