VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Default pilot lesson while building

What are the opinions on getting a pilots and starting to build at the same time. I want to build an RV7

Thanks
Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Well, you would not be the first to do so.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Go for it

If you are sure that you really love flying go for it.

My RV7A is the easiest landing airplane I have ever flown.

Get plenty of time in rental planes before you venture out in your RV.
RV-7A, Aerosport O-360, WW200RV
Advanced Flight 5400
Avidyne IFD440
Paint by planeschemer.com
Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 PM

I enjoy flying as much as possible. Building a plane, getting married, completing college, raising a family, all the same thoughts. These days when someone asks about earning a PPL I advise the following:

- Complete a Ground School and pass the written before starting the flight lessons. Learn the information in a calm, quiet environment. Start flying after the “Why” is in your brain.

- Flight lessons are like Dr. appointments, half-day events. Drive out, arrive, brief, pre-flight, fly, debrief, drive back to normal life. Less than two lesson each week and you’re not making progress.

- Talk to current students and new PPL holders. The estimated minimum hours to solo, and eventually complete PPL may be optimistic. How many calendar months did it take them to hit those milestones?

Flying is great. Start with realistic expectations...

YMMV

Carl
Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 PM

I did it with my first build - a Sonex. It slowed the build down because I made sure to put plenty of time into flying. It was my first priority until I got my private. Then I was able to give more time to the build.

By the time the Sonex was ready it was four years later and I had 250 hours in my logbook. I didn't actually order the kit until I had about five hours of instruction. It was enough time to convince me that I could finish lessons.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 04-07-2018, 05:43 AM

Thanks guys very helpful
Old 04-07-2018, 06:23 AM

Get enough flight experience to know what you want/need in terms of avionics and engine/prop combo and that flying and it’s costs work for you. They don’t for everyone. I would argue this means at least getting close to your completed ppl before pulling the trigger on a build. This may also cause you to consider a different model RV. Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 04-07-2018, 06:47 AM

Default Ditto.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If it is your thing and you know it will stay your thing for a long time, then be yourself and get started one way are the other. It is not an easy road and not for everyone. I would fly a little and make sure you want to do this and work it out as you go. I agree with the others above, that if you do both at the same time it will take longer, but if that is what you like doing into your older days, then your on the right track anyway. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Make sure you want to fly

I think you will notice that everyone has said this, make sure you want/like flying! I'd suggest that you need to take at least 10 hrs. of flight instruction to make sure you really do want to do this. Some people find out that they really don't like flying as much as they thought. Just make sure before spending a lot of money on a kit. 10 hrs will also give you a timeline of how long it might time to complete. Like others have said you need to plan to at least to fly 2 times a week or you want be making any progress. Then if you like it, go for it!

I had my license and built my 7A at the airport, no place to build at home, and it took me 5 years and 7 months to complete. I tried to do at least some work every day that I could.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2017 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 04-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Go fot it

If for some reason you decide flying is not for you a well build RV7 can always be sold for more than what you paid for it, and the build process will be a once in a lifetime experience.

As for lessons, I'm not sure I would recommend taking the ground school and written test before you begin flight training. There's a lot you will gain appreciation for with actual stick time that will help a lot with the learning process. Do what you can afford. I took one lesson a week because that's all I had the $ for at the time. I don't think is affected my progress at all as I soloed with less than 11 hrs dual, and had my ticket with less than 60 hrs total time. Could I have done it faster? - Probably, but that was the right pace for me, allowing me to absorb and process information as fully as possible.

Remember, good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment. Don't rush your experience.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/