What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hangar availability near Portland?

Dmadd

Well Known Member
Wife wants to move back to the northwest so she can argue with her sisters in person (I'm guessing)... <BG> Just wondering what might be available for hangars, fly in communities etc etc. Thinking Oregon (Portland) or southern Washington area. I have an RV-4, and wouldn't mind sharing a hangar either...
Timeframe could be a year or so out, depending on how much I can drag my feet... ;-)

Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:
There are several great fly-in communities in the area, if you can find (and afford) a house in one. The newest is as Sportsman Airpark in Newberg. Last time I was there several spec homes were on the market for less than they were offering lots for a couple years ago. There are older fly-in communities at Dietz, Skydive Oregon, Sunset and Olinger. A couple of the airports on the East side of Chehalem also has a couple of houses. Valley View in Estacada has some lots and houses. There are even a couple that don't even show up on charts, such as Aeroacres Airpark in Oregon City. North of Vancouver, Washington in Battleground is arguably the most beautiful option (and expensive, all 3 acre lots) at Parkside. THere was a beautiful 5 acre lot with views of Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge for sale on a grass strip in Washougal, WA. Not sure if its still available, but its a great spot. Further away, but very popular and in the news because of the through-the-fence issue is Independence, just north of Salem.

Can you tell I really want to live on an airpark and did a bunch of research a couple years ago? Unfortunately my wife isn't into the idea. Runwayfinder.com is a great way to track down options because you can flip back and forth between the chart view and satellite view to see what's around each field, and there are loads of options within 50 miles of Portland.

As for hangers, Twin Oaks is probably your best bet, home of EAA105's chapter hanger. They just completed a new row of hangers, and I think are planning more. Most anywhere else you'll probably need to get on a wait list now in anticipation of your move.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Come check out Independence, OR(7S5). 53+ RV's on the field, more being born every month, lots going on socially, almost 200 homes, a good selection for sale, restaurant on the field, great EAA Chapter and one hour to Portland...

Thanks fellas,
If I may ask, how much do hangars run up there? We are north of $400 for a tee hangar here in Louisville, KY. Same?
Dennis

Hangar Rent

Thanks fellas,
If I may ask, how much do hangars run up there? We are north of $400 for a tee hangar here in Louisville, KY. Same?
Dennis

It varies, but around $270-300 depending on where you are at.

Thanks Bill.
I'm going to jumpseat up there in a couple weeks and nose around for a few days. I used to fly skydivers in Estacada years ago, and when you mentioned that, I began to wonder if my old boss started a community of his own.... Anyway, I'll find out. ;-)
Thanks,
dennis

There are several great fly-in communities in the area, if you can find (and afford) a house in one. The newest is as Sportsman Airpark in Newberg. Last time I was there several spec homes were on the market for less than they were offering lots for a couple years ago. There are older fly-in communities at Dietz, Skydive Oregon, Sunset and Olinger. A couple of the airports on the East side of Chehalem also has a couple of houses. Valley View in Estacada has some lots and houses. There are even a couple that don't even show up on charts, such as Aeroacres Airpark in Oregon City. North of Vancouver, Washington in Battleground is arguably the most beautiful option (and expensive, all 3 acre lots) at Parkside. THere was a beautiful 5 acre lot with views of Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge for sale on a grass strip in Washougal, WA. Not sure if its still available, but its a great spot. Further away, but very popular and in the news because of the through-the-fence issue is Independence, just north of Salem.

Can you tell I really want to live on an airpark and did a bunch of research a couple years ago? Unfortunately my wife isn't into the idea. Runwayfinder.com is a great way to track down options because you can flip back and forth between the chart view and satellite view to see what's around each field, and there are loads of options within 50 miles of Portland.

As for hangers, Twin Oaks is probably your best bet, home of EAA105's chapter hanger. They just completed a new row of hangers, and I think are planning more. Most anywhere else you'll probably need to get on a wait list now in anticipation of your move.

Good luck!

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone have any current info on hangar availability in the Portland area?

Last I heard a very nice, modern t hangar next to me at KUAO in Aurora was available. They go for about 350/month and are the nicest on the field. Can out you in contact with the owner if you are interested.

I will be moving out of a T at Troutdale I have been using for storage. It will be open in the next couple of months. Not sure if they have anyone in line for it. PM me if you want contact info for the manager.

Another possible option near Aurora would be Lenhardts.
Lots of RV's based on the field.
Paved and grass runway.
I am not sure what hangar availability is right now,
but give Terri or Glen a call and they can let you know.

Hangar may be available

at Starks Twin Oaks Airpark (7S3). You can reach them at 503-628-2817.

Back