What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling installation issues

X747

Any suggestions on getting the piano wires on the upper cowling to "cooperate" during the build/first installation?

A thin coating of oil helps. I also took a hinge wire and put it in my drill while I ran it in and out. I had to use weld wire (thinner diameter) on one for the first 200 hours, but be careful because the vibration will cause your hinge holes to wear. Also be sure you bevel the tip of the wire as described in the plans.

I use lithium grease and ball link pliers (remote control) have a really nice ridge in them to hold control rods they are great for applying force to install the hinge pins

piano wire

I bought 2 mm steel piano wire. It was just 0,25 mm thinner - and it made a BIG difference.

Cowl usually comes off when the annual and oil and filter change occurs, so we usually take some brand new oil off the dipstick to lube the piano wire before insertion.

I'd only do this with really fresh, clean oil.

Pressing the lower cowling in or out as necessary to match the top cowling piece, for good piano hinge alignment, usually helps a lot.

Dry lube on cowl pins ( as specified in the maint manual) is a much better choice because it doesn’t attract dirt/grit which greatly accelerates wear of the hinges (not to mention making a mess).
In my shop we polish them with scotchbrite and the rub them with dry Boelube.

Having the pins shaped and finished exactly as described in the KAI also helps a lot with making them easier to install and remove

Last edited:
If you use oil don?t freak out if you see small drops form in flight where the upper cowling mates to the avionics bay cover. Gave me a bit of an uncertain moment first time I saw it.

The good news is that after a few hundred hours they will become much easier to remove and install.

Back