What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I-Com A210 configure

Blain

Well Known Member
Shaking down the new ship. Having problems with the 210. On the ground or with low power settings in the air I have good intercom and Rx sound. Once throttle is advanced intercom and Rx becomes unintelligible, don't hear my own Tx in the headsets.

Tried various combinations of gain, squelch, HP level. Shut off alternator, no change. Doesn't have an ignition noise. All wiring has sheilding grounded at common location.

Swapped headsets. ANR and standard. No change.

Seems like just noise but when I loose the transmit monitoring at high power it makes me think something else is going on.

Anyone with similar experience?

sidetone level?

...don't hear my own Tx in the headsets.
That would be the SIDETONE level. I have mine set at 60, I think. Those are great little radios but they sure require some fiddling to get them set right. I have a noisy cockpit so I have my MIC SQL set very high. Next time I'm at the hangar I can jot down my settings if you'd like.

That would be the SIDETONE level. I have mine set at 60, I think. Those are great little radios but they sure require some fiddling to get them set right. I have a noisy cockpit so I have my MIC SQL set very high. Next time I'm at the hangar I can jot down my settings if you'd like.

That would be cool. I need to get a working start point.

My Icom A-210 settings

SQL LEVEL = 006
FM SQL LV = 003 (I don't know what this does)
AF LEVEL = AF GAIN
INCOM LV1 = 051
INCOM LV2 = 051
MIC1 SQL = 026
MIC2 SQL = 026
ANL = ON
LOCK MODE = OFF
DW INTERVAL = MID
PRI. WATCH = MID
MEM PROTECT = OFF
GRP MEMORY = LABEL
MIC1 GAIN = 010
MIC2 GAIN = 005
SIDETONE LVL = 060
TX MIC SEL = MIC 1
DISP MODE = MANUAL (I'm VFR/Day only, so I leave the display full bright)
DISP HIGH = 100
DISP LOW = 010
DISP MAN. = 100
DISP RESP. = STANDARD
FREQ. DISP = ZERO SUPP.
U-1 ID SET = U-1
U-2 ID SET = U-2
AUX IN = ON (My AoA audio is connected to the AUX input)
AUX LVL = 045
BEEP = 050
INCOM MODE = ON (I use the Intercom to feed audio to my Garmin Virb)
TIME OUT = 120
FREQ. STEP = 25 KHZ
INTERLOCK = TX INHIBIT
MEM CLEAR = MEMORY

Thanks for those. Going to copy those settings over tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

I had heard good things about the iCom. I had one in my RV-7a and had nothing but problems with it. It would just stop transmitting intermittently. Sent it back twice and had two avionics shops look at it.

Finally bought the new garmin.

I'll say this: I gave up, iCom didn't. They continued to work on it free of charge and probably would have solved the problem eventually. I just got impatient.

Jim

I was thinking of replacing my A200 (which has been absolutely flawless) for an A220. Now I'm re-thinking that...

Snopercod.... the FM squelch level sets the threshold when you listen to the WX broadcasts. It is an underutilized feature of the Icom. At altitude, you can get NOAA broadcasts from hundreds of miles around on the FM 162 mhz transmitters. The synopsis section is very good for getting the big picture on weather changes in the next few days for a several hundred mile radius.

Thanks for those. Going to copy those settings over tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

Copied those settings and went out again. Better.. but still not right. When I ditched the backseater the noise decreased. Then I shut off the intercom, altogether. That was it. Now I can turn the squelch up and kill the background noise and still get it to open up for radio traffic.

Not sure what to do for an intercom now.

I was thinking of replacing my A200 (which has been absolutely flawless) for an A220. Now I'm re-thinking that...
FWIW: I had an A200 and replaced it with an A210 two years ago. At the time the A200 was my primary radio with my G430W as secondary. Now I wish I had kept the A200. Since the change my G430W is primary with the A210 used only sporadically.

IMHO the A200 is one of the most, if not the most, reliable and best performing radio ever made. I am really thinking about going back to an A200 so If you know of an inexpensive one for sale let me know.

:cool:

SIDETONE level

I flew today without my Garmin Virb or Bluetooth adapter hooked up to my headphones. The SIDETONE level was WAY too high at 60. While taxiiing for takeoff, I adjusted it down to 50 so it didn't break my eardrums, but it was still too high. I flew with it anyway for two trips around the pattern. I'm going to have to fiddle with that setting some more and I guess set it differently depending upon what's hooked up.

If you get used to holding down the button to invoke memory settings.... you can make your changes inflight. You get instant feedback that way.
I set the number 2 headset mic squelch a bit tighter... so it does not open when set on the floor... as that is a noisy area. And try out the weather receiver. It works all over the U.S.

Back