What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling and Countersinking

zsadecki

More building questions from me... What's the correct depth to countersink (with a dimple over it) and to dimple? I followed Vans instruction of '2 clicks past rivet sitting flush' for the countersink and when I dimple the skin and sit it on there, it doesn't look right to me. Here is a pic of the VS rear spar and stiffener. The first pic is the non-dimpled/countersunk area, through a lightening hole, and the second of of the dimpled/countersunk area. Is my dimple too deep? Countersink not enough? Will smashing a rivet in there make it all fit nice and tight?

DSCN5993s.png
DSCN5994s.png

The way I did it, was to dimple the spar first, then I countersunk the doubler, and laid the doubler onto the spar. At first, it would not lay flush on the spar, so I countersunk again incrementally, until it laid flush to the spar and then I clecoed and riveted. It came out perfectly.

Cheers, Pete

What they said...but a tale of caution

Mustang said:
The way I did it, was to dimple the spar first, then I countersunk the doubler, and laid the doubler onto the spar. At first, it would not lay flush on the spar, so I countersunk again incrementally, until it laid flush to the spar and then I clecoed and riveted. It came out perfectly.

Cheers, Pete

That sounds right...but in some places be careful you don't overdo it with the countersink. Sorry for the long tale that follows, but stick with it...it might not apply directly to you right now, but there are important points at the end that don't make sense unless you read the whole thing.

I've been helping to build an RV-7A for a couple of months, stepping into the project right at the start of the fuselage construction. On the firewall (which is steel), you need to dimple the firewall itself and countersink the stiffeners that attach to it.

When the countersink was done so that it looked right (rivet just a hair below the surface, with a barely detectible shiny line around the edge), the stiffener would not sit quite flush with the firewall surface (it would have if the firewall were aluminum, we believe). When we looked at the clecoed assembly edge-on with a light behind it, we could still see the dimples in the firewall, like little posts, with light between them. We asked another builder who knows more than we do about this and he said, "light between the stiffener and the firewall is bad...the strength of the assembly comes from the fact that the two are flush against one another." (It should be noted that he did not have an opportunity to actually see the parts...I described the situation to him in great detail, though.)

So, off we went, aiming to eliminate all gaps between the firewall and the stiffener. We countersunk a bit deeper, and still saw daylight between the stiffener and firewall, but a lot less...deeper, and still a bit of light...deeper, and common sense finally took over. The countersinks were now right at the ragged edge of going all the way through the stiffener and enlarging the hole. Worse, they were way too deep...they weren't engaging the dimple, and the stiffener was no longer positively located (i.e., you could slide the stiffener around to an alarming degree with it laying on the dimpled firewall, but not clecoed). One trashed part, the replacement for which still has not arrived. We concluded that the steel firewall was not completely flat (duh) and that the material was stiff enough that it wasn't going to get completely flat. So the correct course of action was to maximize the contact area while keeping the dimples in contact with the countersinks.

What we wound up doing in this particular instance (meaning the firewall) was to split the difference. The "standard" countersink was clearly not deep enough, because the stiffener was sitting too high off the firewall...there was little physical contact between the stiffener and the firewall itself. Making it a bit deeper broadened the contact area considerably, while maintaining contact between the dimple and the countersunk hole. We arrived at the appropriate depth the way we should have done it in the first place, by taking a piece of scrap and doing some trial-and-error tests on it. We went until the countersunk piece just barely lost contact with the dimple and then stopped. We figure that the very slight loss of contact between the dimple and countersunk hole is okay because the act of setting the rivet will push the dimple down into the countersunk hole and re-establish full contact.

SO...the moral of the story is twofold:

1) The point of all of this dimpling/countersinking business is to get the parts to mate with one another completely flush, because that's where the strength of the assembly comes from. Countersink deep enough so that this is accomplished.

HOWEVER...

2) There are two things going on with a countersunk/dimpled assembly. One is that the parts are supposed to mate to one another in a flush manner. But they're also supposed to fit together precisely, peg (dimple) in hole (countersink). If you go too far with the countersink trying to accomplish a perfectly flush assembly, you lose that custom fit.

When in doubt, try a new idea with a piece of scrap before proceeding to mangle a real part.

After sleeping on it (the idea, not the spar ;)), I think I probably dimpled too much. I thought that dimpling was fairly idiot-proof though, since you have these nice dies that make the perfect hole, right? I suppose that dimpling has to be done in the same way as countersinking, that is you have to do a little, then measure by dropping a rivet in there, and continue until it's flush.. Is this correct? And can I undimple by setting a block of wood on top of the dimples and tapping them back out with a hammer (hitting the wood of course)?

I think it is pretty hard to mess up a dimple. As long as you support both sides of your workpiece, the dimple dies can only dimple as deep at the dies allow. In my (limited) experience, this has never been too much. Perhaps if you bang too much with a hammer on the dimple dies, you'll depress the area around the dimple if it is not supported underneath. I don't think dimpling less is your issue though. That said, I don't "hit" my dimples, I've used a DRDT-2 for the limited amount of dimpling I've done. Very consistent dimples using it.

Good luck figuring out an answer.

Steve

This was a dimple done with a hand squeezer, so no 'hitting too hard' problem here.. But the rivet does sit below the rest of the surface if I drop in in there. Is this normal for a proper dimple? I thought the whole point was doing it so it was a 'flush rivet'...

A new day and a new revalation... It helps to get the correct countersink if you measure with the correct rivet :D

I was using a -3 rivet so the countersink was way too shallow for the -4 dimple...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, Grasshopper, all has been revealed. It's a learning experience to be sure.

Cheers, Pete

I played with some scrap and found that the '2 clicks past' was not nearly enough to get the dimpled sheet to sit flat, as mustang and adouglas said... If 2 clicks is 5mils (according to vans instructions), then I'd guess that the best fit came when the rivet sat about 15-20mils below flush in the countersink. Any bigger and the dimple was obviously floating above the countersink, but even then there was still a small gap between the material that could be seen when held up to the light. I think the dimple warps the surrounding material just enough to make it nearly impossible to get a perfect flush fit, but you can get it pretty close!

And it would have been more proper for me to say in my previous post, that the little rivet I was mistakenly using was a 'AD3' not a -3...

And another question about dimpling/countersinking. Is the 3 sheet method of dimple->countersink->leave flat a necessity for 3 sheet mating? Or can you just go ahead and dimple all 3? (like where a rib, spar, and skin all meet)

It's not a requirement to countersink the middle layer, unless that layer is thicker than .040.

When I countersink underneath a dimple, I usually go about a half turn on the countersink cage past the point used for a normal countersunk rivet. You're right that you'll usually still see some light between the layers because of some slight warping. But the shoulder of the dimple should fit nicely in the countersink.

Dave

dimpling etc....

someone posted here awhile back about dimples leaving dents at times and when finishing,just to use a little fill or bondo to get a flat surface....to take this a little further...being somewhat of a body man myself...I was wondering just how much fill and primer etc a guy can use to give his surfaces a flat look...I have seen some pretty nice "flat" rv's out there and they had to have used some on there wings etc to achieve that real nice flat finished look....my experience shows me that when you rivet and buck your wings etc that sometimes you put little dents in the metal....anyone with some good advice out there...thx,todd :cool:

Tom Emery of WPA RV builders (http://www.wparvbuilders.nstemp.com) filled his with Superfil polyfiber - it is a 2 part filler which is supposed to be more durable than bondo, etc. and doesn't have the shrinkage issues. The surfaces of his HS, etc are perfectly smooth - looks pretty cool.

Thomas

Darned if I know??? I think I was answering a question on another thread,... or was it another day. Maybe, I was just having a senior moment?
No! Wait! I was answering the last posted questions on Page one.
Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
Back