What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Rotax radiator - do I care?

Dgamble

Well Known Member
I haven't had any bad experiences with my radiator, so no reason to retrofit, right?

A new radiator is being introduced for the 912i, 912, and 914 series engines. This new radiator (part number 997083) will replace both the standard and the HD radiators (part numbers 995698 and 997082 respectively).

http://www.rotax-owner.com/rotax-blog/item/25-newrad

The currently supplied radiator is specifically designed and manufactured for the RV-12 (it is not a Rotax radiator).
The side benefit for builders was that (if I remember right) it cost less than $200 vs approaching $600 for the original Rotax one (who knows what the new and improved one will cost).

Dave----if your temps are good, and you havent had any cooling issues in the past----I'd do typical approved maintenance and keep on flying!
Tom

I'm resurrecting this old thread for a friend who owns one of the earliest -12's (#31 I believe). During the annual for his -12 he noticed he has a radiator leak. "My radiator is leaking. Upper inboard bolt came loose allowing it to chafe on bottom support rib." He then goes on to point out what is stated in this thread, the original radiators are not from Rotax and were significantly cheaper.

My question then is this: are these original, cheaper radiators still available for purchase? If so, where can he get a replacement?

Any details appreciated!

In exchanging more text messages with my friend, I believe the answer is yes but the price is now $520?

I'm trying to find the part number to confirm this, but in the electronic version of the plans I have it only lists "EA RV-12 RADIATOR EGW Heat Exchanger" which I cannot find on their site.

new radiator...

Recommend you call Lockwood.
I had to replace my radiator before I even made first flight (my fault, long sad story)
At that time (mid '16) Van's didn't sell the radiator and recommended Lockwood.
It was around $200 as I recall.
HOWEVER, be aware that the new radiator had very slightly different dimensions so I had to modify the mounting pieces that surround it.
I believe Vans issued a service bulletin or revision with the new parts, which should be available from them.
So...new rad from Lockwood, new mounts from Van's.
DISCLAIMER: This was just my experience back then, I haven't gone back and researched before offering this response.
Clear Skies,
Dave

CORRECTION: Thank you Scott, yes my input above relates to the OIL COOLER. My apologies, I was thinking of the wrong finned thingy. DW

Last edited:
Don't mix up oil cooler and coolant radiator.....

The RV-12 has always used a custom made radiator (not from Rotax)
Only the oil cooler is a a Rotax part.

Anyone have a part # for the new Van's custom RV-12 radiator? EA RV-12 Radiator does not surface on the parts listing.

Back