What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding an Autopilot

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Has anyone added the AP servos to add AP to a completed aircraft? How difficult was it, any major problems encountered?

Installed a Trutrack system a number of years ago...but money I ever spent on the airplane post-completion...

Had to finagle a bit for the roll servo in my -8, but other than that, no biggie.

YMMV

I'm adding the Dynon autopilot now to my completed RV7. I've already installed the servos, and they were a piece of cake. Maybe an hour for the roll servo and 2 for the pitch. The Pitch servo only took longer because of crawling in the back and needing an assistant for a few rivets. It's possible to rivet or bolt the pitch mounting plate anyway you want so you could probably skip the assistant.

Wiring is taking longer because I didn't plan for it initially.

***edit: just noticed you were asking for the -12. My response may not apply.

Last edited:
Don it looks like this is a build it yourself deal for Dynon in a RV 12. i was quite surprised when I could not find anything on the Dynon site for a 12 install. I wonder why that is? Lots of 12s out there now.

It was a total no-brainer to add them during the build,
but I think there will be some body bending (of my body) to do it later,
but not impossible.

QUOTE=Jrskygod;1168936]Don it looks like this is a build it yourself deal for Dynon in a RV 12. i was quite surprised when I could not find anything on the Dynon site for a 12 install. I wonder why that is? Lots of 12s out there now.[/QUOTE]

Don it looks like this is a build it yourself deal for Dynon in a RV 12. i was quite surprised when I could not find anything on the Dynon site for a 12 install. I wonder why that is? Lots of 12s out there now.

Actually a standard build of an RV-12 has all of the mounting brackets for servo installation, and wiring installed during the build so installation sometime later is about as easy as it could be (other than needing to access a location in the tailcone for the roll servo).

Actually a standard build of an RV-12 has all of the mounting brackets for servo installation, and wiring installed during the build so installation sometime later is about as easy as it could be (other than needing to access a location in the tailcone for the roll servo).

Scott .... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember the Autopilot servo mounting brackets were a separate install on earlier versions of the RV-12 and came with the AP kit. What you said is true now days and has been for a few years now. Unless I'm confused, the changeover happened around the time I ordered the AP kit early to have the brackets so they could be installed during the fuselage build ... only to find out they were now being included in the fuselage kit.

I think Don started his kit prior to mine so likely did not receive the AP servo mounting brackets with his fuselage kit.

Scott .... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember the Autopilot servo mounting brackets were a separate install on earlier versions of the RV-12 and came with the AP kit. What you said is true now days and has been for a few years now. Unless I'm confused, the changeover happened around the time I ordered the AP kit early to have the brackets so they could be installed during the fuselage build ... only to find out they were now being included in the fuselage kit.

I think Don started his kit prior to mine so likely did not receive the AP servo mounting brackets with his fuselage kit.

Correct, but that was only very early fuselage kits.
Any fuselage kit delivered since probably the beginning of 2009 (maybe even earlier) has included the brackets.

So I was speaking in terms of the majority of RV-12 kits.......

I added it recently - -

Not a fun job. With tank out, and I think you made the crossmember removable, should not be too bad. Installing the front one takes some special tools, as in a very compact angle drill.

Don, for you, I'd fly the plane for a while. I went without one for 6 years. Not needed to have fun.

I asked the question in regard to one I was about to buy. I have since bought one with the AP already installed (and my personal build has the servos installed as well) so I won't have to do that deed. Thanks a bunch guys, I needed the information to come to a value on the aircraft, since I would install the AP as soon as I bought it..

Stay tuned, I will explain it all in a fairly long post probably tomorrow.
QUOTE=rgmwa;1169085]What are you going to do with two RV12's Don? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Back