What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pain in the Back Issues...SB's & ADS-B Install

TomVal

Well Known Member
Living part-time in SC where the -12 is based keeps my annual flying hours low. My plan this year was to finally get all the modifications on my to-do list completed. So here are the mods in progress:

1. Send engine to Jabiru for latest updates.
2. Complete bearing bracket crack SB
3. Complete loose engine mount bracket rivets SB
4. Install new nose gear fork upgrade
5. Install echoUAS ADS-B

I dreaded having to complete items 2 & 3 and most likely 5. Completed the loose engine mount SB but had to stop short of completing the bearing bracket SB due to lower back pain. I felt my back was reaching a trigger point of saying ?no way?. So work has been halted for the time being.

This was the first time I had reason to open the avionics cover. I found an inspection mirror in the compartment. Also, when pulling the avionics cover off I didn?t realize one of my fuselage vinyl letters was partially attached to it, so I created another problem.

Sent a few questions back to uAvionix before I start the ADS-B install. The install manual states specific minimum separation distances for the ADS-B antenna from communication and DME antennas but no mention of minimum distance from the transponder antenna.

With our part-time status, this project is going to take me into the fall. Not much flying for me this year!

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of doing 2 and 3 as well. No fun at all, particularly the bearing bracket.

Back