What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twin Turbo IO-540 w/Full EFII

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
So it's not directly RV related, but it's some info on a cool engine.
Besides my RV-10 project, I got involved helping Karl Grove with is Lancer Super Legacy Reno Racer. Specifically, I helped design and implement the electrical system. It's a funky 24v/12v hybrid system b/c of the landing gear that was already installed on the plane. I've been going up to riverside every few weeks to help on the project. in fact, just yesterday we moved the plane to his hangar (hmmm... done that 2x in the last month now :)
Anyway, last week, Karl had a chance to finally take his engine off the plane, and take it up to Lycon for some dyno testing. Lot's of people were there to check it out, big names in the engine industry, Kitplanes... the works. There will be an article at some point. Unfortunately, my "real job" kept me from driving up to be there....:(
It's an ACE 568 engine, with twin turbos, custom one off exhaust system, and full EFII package. Besides handling the Ignition and Fuel, Robert, of EFII also set up the ECU's to handle the ADI (Anti-Detonation Injection). So, there's quite a bit of engine automation being handled by the EFII system which will make Karl's job a lot easier... just fly fast, fly low, and turn left!!
I'm not at liberty to divulge the HP numbers, but let's just say, it's ALOT. More than enough for 2 RV-10s. And that was only at 40" of MP. Fuel line and fuel pump limitations available at Lyon during testing could't get enough fuel to the engine to get it to the predicted 45" of MP. Which would of course mean a lot more HP.
So, it's another engine/technology package out there. Turbos in general seem like a cool option... if you can manage the HEAT... that's what it all comes down to. The science of turbos at altitude are above my pay grade, and I'm not saying we should all throw this engine configuration into an RV-10 or Rocket BUT, it's a cool option, and we are building EXPERIMENTAL planes. While I know first hand that that a factory 260hp IO-540 is plenty of juice in a 10, there's always going to be someone who wants to have the option of more. I myself have a 300hp Barrett Precision Engine/ full EFII in mine. So, take it for what it is. There's a lot of great things happening in the engine world and companies like EFII are leading the way to advance the technology and push the limits. Reno Air race tested components will surely make our daily fliers a lot more reliable.

Loading the engine

Kevin and Karl

The whole crew

Robert, hooking up the ECU's

The numbers should be interesting with all the ACE parts on there. I know some of the other contenders are in the 800hp range at 70+ inches using "stock type" parts.

ACE RENO engine

This was a pretty cool test and a great day at Lycon.
Even though it was just a break in run at 40", the engine showed tremendous potential.
All of the systems worked together nicely.
There were a lot of jaws dropping at the ease with which this engine made power.

Ground testing on the airframe is the next step. Should be interesting!

Robert

Somewhat unrelated, but at what point does someone worry about how much torque the crank flange ahd prop hub handle. I am sure these are unique components designed for the load.

Larry

Somewhat unrelated, but at what point does someone worry about how much torque the crank flange and prop hub handle. I am sure these are unique components designed for the load.

Larry

I'd worry a lot more about the crankshaft and case which is pretty willowy by automotive race engine standards. Nobody has sheared off the hub yet, even above 800hp.

Back