What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Tools

Aesir

I'm New Here
Are the tools required to build an RV-14 pretty much the same as any other kind of RV? Does this list on Vans website apply equally to the -14?: https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/tools.htm

I have a smaller, unrelated sheet metal project planned, and I would like to buy tools that would be appropriate for a build, should I go down that path.

I'd really like to focus on the initial tools that would be required for the empennage kit.

Tools

I'm new here too, so can't answer your RV 14 questions.
But,
I recently purchased the RV builders tool kit from Planetools.com.
They are set to arrive on Thursday of this week.
I'm not too far from you, if you want to come check them out or even do your small sheet metal project here at my hanger, you can play around with the tools and see what you will need for your empennage kit.
Not sure what your building, but I could probably make some room for you in a corner.
PM me if interested

Thanks for the generous offer. Upland is a little bit of a hike, but it would be cool to check out your hangar/project. I'll send you a message.

Tools

Welcome.
It's pretty close to most basic tool sets sold. Compare the basic sets from Cleveland, Avery and Isham.
A few suggestions to get started. Others will probably chime in.
Get a 3x and skip the 2x for a starter kit. Get a tungsten bar. Skip the 3/16" rivet sets. Vans spars are assembled. Get a swivel set.
I prefer the 2 lb dead blow. Heavy packing tape works great for rivet tape. Gorilla tape is awesome for all sorts of uses.
You might try a search on tools. There have been several threads recently with really good suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I did search and read a number of threads on tools (I even saw the bit on using Gorilla Tape on the bucking bars to prevent mars!). In addition to the brands you mention, I see a lot of people seem to like the brand Sioux for rivet guns / drills.

However, I didn't see anything specific to the RV-14. Perhaps any differences are too little to warrant any major discussion.

Part of the reason I'm looking is because Aircraft Spruce had a little sale over the weekend, and is extending it for a short time to people that took one of the EAA classes, and I was trying to see if I could make use of it. Surprisingly, I found very few mention of tools bought at Aircraft Spruce..

Tools

Thanks for the suggestions. I did search and read a number of threads on tools (I even saw the bit on using Gorilla Tape on the bucking bars to prevent mars!). In addition to the brands you mention, I see a lot of people seem to like the brand Sioux for rivet guns / drills.

However, I didn't see anything specific to the RV-14. Perhaps any differences are too little to warrant any major discussion.

Part of the reason I'm looking is because Aircraft Spruce had a little sale over the weekend, and is extending it for a short time to people that took one of the EAA classes, and I was trying to see if I could make use of it. Surprisingly, I found very few mention of tools bought at Aircraft Spruce..

I love my Sioux 3x and drill. Awesome products. The other two I would not want to be without is my pneumatic squeezer and tungsten bar.
I can't imagine the tool set for a 14 would be much different. At least not a basic set. Everyone needs that stuff. As far as tools from Aircraft Spruce, I'm sure they are fine. I hope you get a good deal.

Isham

One reason I chose the Isham at planetools, is they have a lot of Kline Tools, snap-on tools along with sioux. The kit comes with 3x pneumatic squeezer.
After my two day class, I'll try the tool box. Then go pick up the tail.

Tools

Thanks for the suggestions. I did search and read a number of threads on tools (I even saw the bit on using Gorilla Tape on the bucking bars to prevent mars!).

Be sure when you use the tape on the bucking bars, that you don't put any on the end you are going to buck against, you won't get as good of a set. Just put it on the sides where you don't want to scratch up the skin. Also, if you use the round bucking bar to backrivet the tailcone (which I recommend strongly, suggestion from CJ), put the packing tape on the end you are using, not Gorilla tape and it will help reduce any marring on the skins. If you want to talk tools, let me know. I think I have them all, way overkill. However, I try to buy tools that help me to be more accurate, or work faster. And I just like tools, so I have a boatload. Absolutely buy a tungsten bucking bar, that will be the main one you use. I have 3 of them. For the -14, you will need a special bucking bar, it's about a foot long. Also the kit Avery has for the elevators would probably be a good investment. I got my tools from Isham because of the Klein and Snap-On brands they use. However, I have gotten excellent service and help from both Cleaveland and Avery. When I started buying the tools, I justified it because there is a great market for used tools on VAF, however, at this point, I don't think I'm going to be giving any up. Good luck.

I bought one of these as a squeezer. I then had a C-frame built. I can switch between a squeezer and a dimpled. SO far it has been great. Vey light and can get into a lot of places. I also have a 4" yoke, which has been very handy.

http://www.numatx-tools.com

Numatx

I bought one of these as a squeezer. I then had a C-frame built. I can switch between a squeezer and a dimpled. SO far it has been great. Vey light and can get into a lot of places. I also have a 4" yoke, which has been very handy.

http://www.numatx-tools.com

I like the physics. I like the size. My interest is piqued?

How long do I have to skip lunch for to get one? Are the yoke pins standard width and size for a general market procurement?

work with the same yokes and pins. ~$800. Then you have to build a c-frame or have one built. The owner will send to the drawings for the c-frame.

I figure that it will have a good resale, when and if I decide to sell it.

Wow, that's pretty slick. A pneumatic one is ~$600, so it's not a huge difference, but how much did it cost you to build the c-frame?

Numatix

I like the physics. I like the size. My interest is piqued?

How long do I have to skip lunch for to get one? Are the yoke pins standard width and size for a general market procurement?

I have one of these as well and a separate pneumatic hand held. The biggest use for the Numatix is in the C-frame dimpling the skins. It's great because you can hold/balance the skin with both hands and focus on holding the skin because you use the foot petal to activate it. So you don't have to balance the skin in one hand and either hit with a hammer on the C-Frame or use the DRDT-2. I originally purchased the DRDT-2 and adapted it to work with the Numatix squeezer. Works really well. When I want to use the hand squeezer, I usually use the pneumatic because the hose is longer and easier to move with. I like having the activator on the hand unit when using the pneumatic squeezer. You can't go wrong with either. BTW, I also have the Main Squeeze from Cleaveland. Can't have enough tools!

The c-frame actually did not cost me a thing. My father-in-law and brother-in-law are welders. They built it for me as an Xmas present. I think that it was about $250 in steel including the mount for the squeezer. That was the steel cut to the specific sizes for the c-frame. I don't know how much it would cost to have someone weld it for you.

The only thing I built was the plate to mount the lower die. The plans call for tapping and mounting the lower plate with screws. I pitched that idea and just epoxied it in place. It has not moved yet.

The foot pedal is very nice. Also, I don't know about the regular squeezers, but you can control the distance it travels with the foot pedal. It is not all or nothing. push it all the way down and it will squeeze hard. push part of the way down and it will stop. That feature is nice at times.

I am interested in using the Numax...

I have talked to Mark at Numax and I think this is the way to go. I do notice that yokes are not included or sold. What yokes have you found useful and or needed? Thanks

you will find that as many tools that you acquire over the months and years that you are going to buy tools periodically and on a continuous schedule, you will eventually have your credit card number and csv memorized and you will need to find more tool storage space.

I have a regular 3" and 4" squeezer yoke. I almost never use the 3". The 4" allows for nice long reaches. With the Numatx, the extra weight of the 4" won't be a big deal.

I would like to have a no hole yoke, but have not needed it enough to buy one. Maybe I will find a need for it on the empennage kit. The only place that I could have used a no hole yoke so far on the empennage is attaching the top rib to skin on the rudder. Now the bloody plans call for blind pop rivets, which I ended up using anyway before the plans changed.

maybe others can chyme in as to when the no hole is useful.

Back