What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab Skin Question

cwharris

So I have a newbie question. I just finished up on my Horizontal Stab when I noticed that I put the 5 holes that have no dimple or rivets on the bottom and not on the top like the plans clearly state. You know where the plans say ?Do not dimple these TOP 5 holes?. Well the top un-dimpled holes are now on the bottom. So after I retrieved my heart from my feet I figured that I will now dimple the un-dimpled holes and rivet them to the now bottom and so that brings up my question. I now have dimpled holes where the plans call out no dimpled holes. I know that the 5 holes are just for the fiberglass cover fairing screws. Will the dimple holes still work or is there something that I can do to the hole so they can work? What a stupid mistake.

Don't sweat it but you will need k1100-xx nutplates that can accommodate the dimple.
Then again when you drill to full size the dimple may disappear.

Last edited:
The general wisdom is that you can flatten out a dimple once - just use a flush set. Also, as mentioned, when you drill out to #6, most of the dimple will go.

The dimple wont fully go away when final drilling to #27 later for the screw, but I would leave it as is (don't flatten the dimples).
As already mentioned, you can substitute K1100-06 (countersunk) nutplates to clear what is left of the dimples.

Minor mistake... not a problem.

Back