What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

East River Exclusion Go Fly It.

Vlad

Well Known Member
10 years ago a man from Ohio introduced me to NYC flying. My RV was still couple years before completion and I didn't have pilot license yet. He was visiting with his RV9A and gave me a ride. Being a CFI he explained me in details how to navigate the Big Apple airspace. That was an enormous amount of motivation. Thank YOU you know who you are. I remember that flight. :)

IMG_8182JPG.jpg

There are couple scenic routes over New York City the most traveled being Hudson River Corridor. A well hidden secret is East River Exclusion which puts you over prominent bridges, by United Nations and over Central Park. However the route requires a class Bravo clearance. ATC usually is very accommodating and if there is no heavy helicopter traffic they would gladly issue you clearance and instructions. The latter could be a bit lengthy and machine gunned to you but no worries you received it clear and correct just verify the numbers and wilco it.

Approach Verrazano Bridge from the south at 1,300' monitoring 123.05 all traffic over Hudson self announces on it keep your second radio (if you have one) monitoring Newark Tower 127.85 it will give you a good idea of what's going on in the corridor. Start talking to Newark Tower couple miles prior to Verrazano Bridge the controller likely already has you on the screen and he is expecting your request. Tell him politely you would like to fly East River Exclusion if available. It takes a minute for him to coordinate with LaGuardia and bingo you are all set. You get transponder code and class B clearance. They also lift you up to 1,500 feet.

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201.jpg

Over Governor Island you start right turn toward Brooklyn Bridge. If you don't hear anything for a minute don't worry keep going.

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201%201.jpg

Over Brooklyn Bridge you will be handed off to LaGuardia Tower at 126.05. The controller double checks your intentions and instructs you to fly mid river advising on any traffic within 5 miles :)

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201%203.jpg

Go and enjoy yourself.

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201%202.jpg

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201%204.jpg

Be aware of the First Lady TFR and steer clear. :)

East%20River%20Exclusion%20-%201%205.jpg

Time to cross Central Park. E 86th Street. On the corner with 2 Avenue DarrenS and I had a breakfast some years ago.

E86th%20Street%20-%201.jpg

Park Avenue

Park%20Ave%20-%201.jpg

and Madison next.

madison%20ave%20-%201.jpg

Metropolitan Museum of Arts sits on Fifth Avenue surrounded by other landmarks.

Mets%20-%201.jpg

Museum of Natural History. Dozens of prominent buildings around.

Museum%20of%20natural%20history%20-%201.jpg

You are done quick and easy. Only 1 gallon of gas more on detour instead of Hudson River Corridor. You can check out with LaGuardia or you can loop around again. Go fly East River Exclusion you will love it.

Oh man, I would love to do that. Is there anything written on how to pull this off (other than what you posted)?

On my list!

Thanks for the tutorial. I have flown the Hudson River in a C310. Will fly the East River at my next chance. Hopefully in the RV!

Cant wait to try it.

Have flown the Hudson all the way down over Coney Island many times but was always afraid to attempt the east river. You make it look very simple and safe. It triples the excitment by flying directly over Central Park. I always assumed you had to 180 up by Hells Gate. I have missed a lot. :( Thanks for the tutorial Vlad . :)

I Have Flown the East River with Vlad a few Years ago , an Amazing experience ,
expect moderate to heavy chop when crossing the bridges .

Looks like a lot of fun. Did some searching and there is an NY SFRA small chart and instructions on the back side of the New York TAC chart. You can look at it on the SkyVector web site. There is also a course on FAAsafety.gov site called New York City special flight rules area (sfra) and also a kneeboard quick reference you can print. Hopefully this link to the course will work.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=79&sID=389&preview=true

You can bet I'll be returning to this thread in the future as NYC is coming up on my "To Do" list! Thanks for the experience!

Newark Tower Congested Frequency?

...Start talking to Newark Tower couple miles prior to Verrazano Bridge...
I was listening to Newark Tower on Live ATC and the frequency was so congested I can't see how any small plane could ever get in a word edgewise. But come to think of it, that Live ATC feed combines the main tower frequency (118.3) with the TCA tower frequency (127.85), so maybe The TCA tower frequency isn't so congested?

Also, I found an FAA Kneeboard cheat sheet on the East River Exclusion Area SFRA. It contains all the procedures, checkpoints, and frequencies.

Well, those are just epic shots!

Awesome! Thanks Vlad for all these great flights and pictures. Inspiring to a student pilot and RV builder!

Hudson Corridor

We flew the Hudson on the way back from OSH to Florida. It's amazing that we still have these freedoms considering what happened to this city in 2001. Do it while you still have the chance!!

Wow, Vlad, you had incredible visibility that day!

Thanks for the pix and the tutorial. I've done the Hudson many times but didn't know about the ERE.

Do they expect you to overfly Central Park when you get to the end or do you specifically request that? Like some others, I always thought the expectation was a 180. Thanks.

Do they expect you to overfly Central Park when you get to the end or do you specifically request that? Like some others, I always thought the expectation was a 180. Thanks.

No Rob they don't. I requested it. Worked down there for several years had some RV parts done at E76th Street. Once I asked for couple 360ies over Central Park at 1,000 they accommodated. On a nice weekend morning when there no heli traffic you can request anything you want. Just know what you are doing. :)

Yes

Oh man, I would love to do that. Is there anything written on how to pull this off (other than what you posted)?

Yes, there is. Get a paper copy of the NYC TAC or Helicopter Route Chart (the ones in the iPad apps don't have all the details, AFAIK). Each will contain everything you need to know. For Hudson River, you can do the self-announced 1000'-1299' or you can request the Skyline Route and be in Class B.

I had thought the East River route was now just for helicopters, (cuz somebody tried a 180 on it and failed), so it's nice to know it can be done. Thanks, Vlad!

Faasafety.gov has a course on how to do it properly. HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING THIS before doing it the first time. Also, if you google New York SFRA or Hudson River exclusion, there's plenty of info out there

Last edited:
Back