What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best way to mount flap

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Just put the skin on my QB wing and wondering what's the best way to mount the flap to ensure it's aligned with the aileron and also have the required 1/4" gap (thinking about some 1/4 ply to set the gap)... just wondering about how to clamp the hinge on the wing and drill it while maintaining alignment.

Also - how do you know the proper location of the aileron (left - right)... basically I used two washers on the inboard side and made a 19/32 spacer (plans say 17/32 but mine was a little wider).

Thanks much in advance.
Scott
http://rv7a.home.comcast.net

I set the aileron per the instructions, then put the hinge on the flap and clamped it in place with side grip clecoes. I had the wing laying on a table so ther was no weight hanging on the hinge. Once in position, I drilled and clecoed. I used 3/16" for my gap, which turned out perfect for me, as I did not require trimming for the fuselage.

Well I hung the flap! Used a piece of 1/4 model aircraft plywood to set the gap. Or at least I should have measured the thickness of the ply first! Turns out my gap is about .225", about .03" short of Van's minimum of .25.

Shouldn't be a problem, right? Everything swings free and clear.

Not sure that .03" is a problem, but what might not be a problem when the wing/flap is not under load (on the workbench) might become one when there is load/flex on the wing and/or flap (when in the air). If I were to error, I suspect erroring on the side of making the gap too big rather than too small would be better. Perhaps a call to Van's would be in order. Good luck.

Steve

flap gap

I used the plans for the gap. I must have had something slip a little, cause when I hung the wings to drill the rear spar, the right flap drags the Fuse a little. Not a real problem, but something to think about.

Derrell

Derrell,

So you mean your gap is perhaps a little too wide?

Paul S. looked at my gap and said it was OK. His, he said, are about the same.

- Scott

Back