What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912 spark plug gap

I asked about the difference between the RV manual and the ROTAX manual value when I took the service and maintenance courses at CPS. The instructor was surprised at the values in the RV manual and said stick with the tighter ROTAX gap setting.

I think that when the -12 first came out, Rotax hadn't yet tightened the gap. Rotax changed it a few years ago. Go with Rotax.

The spark plug gaps as delivered with the engine (not run yet) are set to the minimum of .023. They will widen with the electrode burning off in use, so this should be perfect.

Another curious data point on plug gap

While attempting to balance the carbs on N73HR, we found it very difficult to get rid of some rather bad vibration. After several iterations, we finally decided to pull a plug to look for fouling or some such. What we found was that the plug was gapped at 0.018--quite a ways off from spec, and the 0.027 for just-out-of-the-box plugs. Pulling the remainder of the plugs, ALL were found to be pretty close to the 0.018 range. After re-gapping the works, and another tweak of the carbs, the engine vibration subsided considerably. A further minor tweak to balance both prop blades to within 0.2 degrees seemed to help a bit more, and we suspect that a prop balancing will further help smooth things out. None of the local Lycoming/Continental N.A.E.s (Noted Authority on Everything) could come up with a satisfying theory as to why the gapping affected engine vibration so much.

Idle speculation/faith-promoting rumors on the subject would be appreciated.

New Spark plug gap ?

The new Rotax manual has the 912 spark plug gap at 0.031-0.035. Wasn?t older manual at .023-.027?

I have found the gap out of the box to be about 0.28?. For the last four annuals I have just verified that and used as is. Seems to work great. I replace all 8 every annual.

I suspect that this new spark plug gap spec is for the new-style ROTAX-branded ($$$) spark plug. The former NGK spark plug ($) had a spec of 0.23"-0.27".

Back