What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SKYVIEW HDX PITOT/STATIC TEST

Lizard Lips

How does one test the pitot/static system on a Skyview HDX without taking the plane to an instrument shop? That may sound stupid, but I'm thinking about my first flight, which should be within the next 2 weeks, and am concerned about airspeed accuracy. I'm not concerned at this point about the altimeter, but I don't want to be flying at an indicated 80 knots and my actual airspeed is 60. :eek: There is no instrument shop on our field and the nearest one is 30 miles away.

Joe
Longview, Texas
RV-14A 96% complete, 94% to go!
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly
2020 Dues Paid

Well, you can search ?water manometer?. Basically get 5 ft of clear vinyl tubing with a diameter that is a snug fit over the pitot tube. Tape the pitot drain holes closed. Put a foot or so of water into the vinyl tubing (food dye makes it more visible) and hold the ends up, in a U shape. Put one end over the pitot, use tape to seal it. Now, is the water at the bottom of the U the same height in both legs? If so, raise the free end higher. Are both legs still the same height? If so, stop. You have a leak somewhere that you need to find and fix. If the water in the free end is a steady height higher than the pitot end, then raise the free end while watching the ASI. When it reads 70 kias, measure the height difference between the two water levels, in inches. Go to the internet and convert ?inches of water? into kias, see if it?s close to 70.
You can do something similar for the static system to look for leaks. It takes more tape to get a good seal between the tubing and the static port.
This does not test for port position error.
You should also not run mode C until the transponder/encoder is properly tested.

You can easily do it with a homebuilt manometer that you connect to the pitot tube with piece of soft tubing. If it is a Dynon pitot make sure to close off the two small de-icing holes on the bottom with electrical tape.

I found this old article http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/articles/KP89JUL.pdf

I hope this will help.

For your first flight, a hand-held or panel-mount GPS groundspeed is a good backup to the airspeed indicator.

I did basic tests with a syringe and balloon first to find and fix leaks, then did the IFR certification test at the FBO before my first flight.

David

I understand the leak testing and should have no problem doing so. I was really concerned about my first flight and needed some assurance that if my IAS showed 80 knots, or 60 knots, or whatever that I was actually flying at a speed that was somewhere close to what was indicated. I didn't want to fall out of the sky. I hadn't thought about the GPS trick and think it's a good idea, particularly on a calm day. That makes me feel better. Thanks for the idea.

Joe
Longview, Texas

Back