What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHARGING HDX BACKUP BATTERIES

Lizard Lips

My Skyview HDX backup batteries are getting to a low charge condition. Is there any way to charge these batteries without actually running the engine? I'm still one to two weeks away from running the engine for the first time.
Thanks
Joe
Longview, Texas
RV-14A 95% Complete, 95% to go
Arion Lightning LS-1 - Flying regularly
2020 Dues paid

Section 9 of the installation manual.

Put a battery charger on the airplane with the screens turned on, with the voltage above 12.25 volts on the Skyview - which will likely require closer to 13 on the electrical system to allow for various voltage drops prior to the Skyview input line. As long as the battery/buss voltage exceeds this level and the Skyview is turned on, it will charge the backup battery. The charger will need to be able to supply at least 5 amps (per screen) and may take up to 4 hours.

Last edited:
Adding to AirGuy's correct info, if your charger can't handle the load of both screens, just turn one on at a time.

If I recall correctly, in most installations the aircraft's MASTER switch (and Avionics Master switch if any) must be ON for the Dynon's backup battery(ies) to "see" the effect of the charger.

Battery charger worked great! Took around 4 hours as predicted. My charger was able to handle both screens at once so the current flow started out a little less than 15 amps, cutting back to 6.5 amps towards the end of charge. No longer get the message "Backup Battery Low Charge" Should be able to run the engine for the first time later this week, thereby eliminating the problem.

My thanks to all who commented for your help. :D

Joe
Longview, Texas
RV-14A 96% Complete, 94% to go
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly
2020 Dues Paid

Back