Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 AM

Default replacing fork - use original wheel faring?

I just received my SB 19-08-26 nose gear leg and SB 16-05-23 nose fork conversion kits. It came with a new front half of the wheel faring. Mine is painted so I would like to use it and not have to repaint. I read somewhere that it is possible, does anyone have experience? What is required?

I am assuming it will require a bit of adapting or else Vans wouldn't have included a $75 faring.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Interesting

I was able to use my original nose wheel fairing after installing the upgraded nose wheel fork. Itís been long enough I donít recall all the work needed but I believe it was mostly work on the fork.
And since I recently finished the the nose wheel gear there was no work I had to do to the fork or nose wheel fairing.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 04-06-2020, 03:51 PM

I replaced my nose wheel fork when the new one first came out. I don't remember having to do anything to the faring and they did not send a new one with the kit.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I just received my SB 19-08-26 nose gear leg and SB 16-05-23 nose fork conversion kits. It came with a new front half of the wheel faring. Mine is painted so I would like to use it and not have to repaint. I read somewhere that it is possible, does anyone have experience? What is required?

I am assuming it will require a bit of adapting or else Vans wouldn't have included a $75 faring.
I just finished my nose gear and nose fork replacement. The replacement kit also included the front half wheel faring. I use my original faring with no problem, you have to drill out the mounting angles and replace them with the ones that are furnished with the kit. Took less than an hour. Far less work then trimming the new faring to fit, installing the hardware and painting.

I am not sure why vans supplies a new faring. Using the old one was far less labor.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajapilot View Post
I am not sure why vans supplies a new faring. Using the old one was far less labor.
I send van's an email asking if it was necessary to use the new faring, no answer yet.

I wonder if I can return the one they sent.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Default SB 16-05-23

I did the SB in 2018 and did not receive a new front fairing half, nor did I need it. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

- RV10, Build in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"...many great hours and happy landings so far.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM

To be clear, we are talking about replacing front of wheel pant while changing to the new fork consideration, not including also, the new nose gear landing strut?

Does the strut make the difference for need of new front portion of the wheel pant being redesigned, or ?
Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 PM

Jessica at Van's response;

"Some customers with the same concern about paint have said theyíre making up their own bracket between the new fork and their old fairing. The old fairing will fit around the new fork, itís just the brackets that donít quite line up".