- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2020, 08:33 AM

Thanks for your post. Excellent write up. BZ
Fly Navy!

Donated 12/2019
Old 04-05-2020, 08:47 AM

Very good write up, and most definitely you made the right call to put the plane on the ground instead of trying to get to another airport. In law enforcement, where we had to make split second life and death decisions, I followed the rule that it is better to be judged by 12, than to be carried by six.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM

Kudos on a successful outcome and your decision to hang it on this forum. I've learned not to do that from past experience - let's hope that it maintains a constructive tack.

Also, as someone who has landed all of my current and a few past airplanes on PMD (I work there), that's a great chunk of real estate to have under you when things go sideways!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Very concise write up and hopefully the lessons learned will sink into others faced with similar scenarios. Appreciate your candor in sharing this story.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 04-05-2020, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Superb Airmanship

Sure--check your watch and everything else at altitude, but when over a runway, put it on the ground and sort it out later. Extremely well done!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 AM

BZ, Grandpa Pettibone would be proud.

About four flights following an engine teardown, rebuild, and reinstall my engine would not crank. The cause was failure to properly tighten the nut securing the elect system ground. No harm, no foul but not pleased with AP.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:34 AM

Evan

Glad it all worked out well, and thanks great after action write-up (I would expect no less from a Nav Tacair, Op Eval guy, experienced report writer and likely fellow comm air pilot!)

The quote from Coonts and that same concept have been my byword from my first day flying, and have served me well.

You didn't listen (every machine that has ever broken on me has whispered something or stood the hairs up on my neck before the event!) but you did right. Well done.

For those of you who haven't been there or work there now, these are the kinds of guys (and gals) who defend our country and fly your families around the skies!

Be well

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse on the rotisserie
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
Grandpa Pettibone would be proud.
Had to look that one up:

Grampaw Pettibone and the Grampaw Pettibone Archives.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned
Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM

Evan,

Awesome write up, and great job. Not a second of second-guessing here amigo...landing was the right choice IMHO. Trying to go around and troubleshoot, with spiking EGTs and little engine response might be a recipe for disaster, eh. Take the OK 3, and sort it out in Mx Control. No need to question your choice at all.

My one (knock on wood) engine failure in a single was right over a private glider field. Like you, I looked over at the nearby public field, but stuck with getting on deck on the runway below me. Also like you, that club C-150 had been talking to us too...slight, unconfirmed, "maybe in our heads", noise, that turned into a failed piston pin (and a lot of noise). Your assessment in this post, of the process leading up to this is excellent...we're all gonna learn from it, so thanks!

A lesson I learned, over the years, from my RV/A&P mentors: put a wrench on every fitting in the fuel system and oil system, back to front, during Condition Inspections and other significant maintenance events. It's saved my bacon more than once.

BZ Evan, well done!

Cheers,
Bob
President/Sport 47/49, Sport Class Air Racing
President, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Flight Lead, Lightning Formation Airshows
Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Grampaw Pettibone and his "What were those young aviators thinking?!$@" was a staple of ready room reading when I was in.

The push started in the 50's as the accident rate in Nav Air around boat was sky rocketing, and there was a need for a conduit of "lessons learned".

Each article described an incident or close call that Grampaw could comment on, in his southern appilachian style, usually with a comic, and was entertaining enough to keep aviators interested. "I don't want to be that guy" way before that phrase was made popular, and some potential for public humiliation if you were "that guy", was the process of motivating compliance. The articles were included at the end of each monthly publication of Approach magazine, the Navy's safety pub.

Lots of good lessons there, worth another read for anyone who flies. Almost as good as sitting around the hangar telling "No sh.., there I was" stories!

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse on the rotisserie