What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote oil filter installation on RV-9A

BMW_X6M

Ever since adding the Plane Power backup alternator to the vacuum pad it has been difficult, time consuming, and sometimes messy changing the oil filter.

I have now added a remote oil filter using an AirWolf adapter, EARLS remote oil filter mount, and two hoses from TS Flightlines.

I wanted an extra sturdy firewall mount so I made a doubler that tied into the firewall structure with a 1/4 inch thick aluminum bracket mounted inside. The EARLS mount is billet aluminum. It doesn?t move at all. All the fittings are O-ring AN-8. All engine hoses are teflon from TS Flightlines.

Another benefit is I can now fill the filter with oil prior to installation. I removed the top plugs and spun the engine until seeing oil pressure to purge the air from the new oil system.

There was a nice open spot on my RV-9A firewall because I have an early model that still used the Concorde battery tray on the pilot side firewall. I am happy with how the mounting and hose run came out.

For those looking at the photos, I have my PMAG?s removed for a checkup during this installation.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArInaQRZozE3la0KDHhyDT_1JOXPPA

Remote

So tell us?did you see any change in typical cruise oil temps or pressure?

Cheers

db

Good Idea

Since I plan to use an vacuum pad alternator, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to find a place to put it on the firewall!!!

Back