Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-21-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
No, sorry, I was just going by what I found on their website, but what I just now noticed is that the second crate is for "special" QB wings only and I have no idea what that means.

Don't you want your plane to be special?
I speculated after getting clarification from Van's on the 2 crates (132x22x58 (443 lbs) & 106x62x52 (660 lbs)) that the 3rd was if you ordered the QB wings only (no fuselage) and that would be the only crate you would get. I spent several hours trying to figure out the size of the haul truck I would have to rent for the 3 crates. I was glad to hear that it was only two.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Started Tail Cone Dec 2019
Received QB Kit April 2020
2020 Dues Paid
Old 03-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Partain deliveries for my QB wings and fuselage. Not crated and handled with kid gloves. Perfect. Plus, without crating charges, the shipping costs were about the same. Highly recommended!
Miss March 2020
Old 03-21-2020, 06:04 PM

U-Haul trailer is $30/day. Well worth it.

I am fortunate to own a piece of property just outside Portland, so when I'm in the area I can stop by the factory and pick up crates/parts myself and avoid shipping gorillas and their cost.
___ This month
___ This year
_X_ This century
Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
Partain deliveries for my QB wings and fuselage. Not crated and handled with kid gloves. Perfect. Plus, without crating charges, the shipping costs were about the same. Highly recommended!
I think you will find that Tony Partain sold out to Stewart Transport last year. They had some initial growing pains. Hopefully things have gotten better by now.

You may want to reach out to Van's and see who they are using to ship QB kits. If they aren't using Stewart any longer, that might tell you something.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South

Last edited by KatanaPilot : 03-21-2020 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added text
Old 03-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Default picked up

It is after the fact, but I picked up in enclosed trailer each time.
Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings and FF kit, Thunderbolt 390, Hartzell C/S Blended Airfoil (delivered). Sill need to put it together... 90% left to go
Grateful to pay dues 20'

Old 03-22-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I think you will find that Tony Partain sold out to Stewart Transport last year. They had some initial growing pains. Hopefully things have gotten better by now.

You may want to reach out to Van's and see who they are using to ship QB kits. If they aren't using Stewart any longer, that might tell you something.
I did not know that, but, in fact, Stewart delivered my fuselage in one of their car-mover trucks. Neat trailer with an overhead hoist. Made moving the fuselage from trailer to dolly effortless. I guess they had already been sold or were in transition back then (2017). Perfect service at that time. I hope it continues.
Miss March 2020
Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
U-Haul trailer is $30/day. Well worth it.
Yeah, I just looked and mine was $35, so not bad. But it was dead of winter with 2 feet of snow, uphill both ways... I did not enjoy it.

Next time I'll see if I can get a complete apples to apples cost comparison between crated residential delivery, non-crated Stewart/Partain*, and DIY rental with terminal pickup. I am ALL about convenience though.

*Will Stewart do non-crated slow-build kit deliveries? I think I read that Partain started with just QB, but then later added non-QB kits.
RV-12is Empennage Kit, Fuse Kit, #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
Yeah, I just looked and mine was $35, so not bad. But it was dead of winter with 2 feet of snow, uphill both ways... I did not enjoy it.

Next time I'll see if I can get a complete apples to apples cost comparison between crated residential delivery, non-crated Stewart/Partain*, and DIY rental with terminal pickup. I am ALL about convenience though.

*Will Stewart do non-crated slow-build kit deliveries? I think I read that Partain started with just QB, but then later added non-QB kits.
My RV-10 fuselage (built to QB status) along with a crated wing kit and later my nearly compete RV-7A (on wheels) was moved from Eugene to Atlanta by Stewart under contract with Partain. This was before Tony sold out. Neither move was painless, but there was no damage. The Stewart drivers were new at moving airplanes and were not as OCD about damage as Mike (Partain's last driver) was. I think they were used to damage tolerant steel automobiles and needed a bit of learning on fragile aluminum structures.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
You guys with damaged crates definitely have my sympathy. I'd be seriously ticked if a freight company ruined any of my components. Chasing them for an insurance settlement would not be fun.
If you refuse delivery at the cross-dock you do not have an insurance settlement to mess with. No chasing since you are no longer involved. The shipper and transport company are the involved parties. I often pay for orders with credit card so that if at any time a shipper tries to involve me (like eBay sellers who state no refunds on their listing) I simply call my credit card company and explain what happened and the seller has possession of the merchandise and I am instantly credited. The credit card company likes it because it doesn't even involve their insurance since the seller has possession and not the card holder. Naturally this is not relevant for a supplier of integrity like Van's but is helpful for other transactions. I always use credit card for eBay and similar transactions as it provides for protections not offered by debit, wire transfer or Paypal cash balance payments. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to trust Van's implicitly and would have no problem paying for one of their orders with a cash equivalent.

Last edited by jliltd : 03-22-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
The rules governing that are very much in favor of the shipper. You have to identify and note the damage at the time of delivery in most cases. If the box is punctured on the bottom and you don't see it? Sorry...
That is another good thing about terminal delivery. You fully examine the crate prior to signing the bill of lading. There is a reason the transport companies put the bill of lading in your face first thing. If you sign you own it. You don't sign it the same government rules keep the liability on them. You can actually refuse delivery without cause (i.e. change your mind) but if there is no damage the shipper will be upset with you when they get it back and wouldn't be the ethical in my book. Honestly in almost every case where I have found superficial damage on the outside of the packaging examination of the inside has shown no damage to the contents. Be reasonable and logical with the dock manager and their usually on your side in helping examine things. If there is damage found after you accept delivery you can work with the shipper who packaged it or even do the credit card company insurance thing if using that method of payment.

Last edited by jliltd : 03-22-2020 at 09:42 AM.