Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Default Damage

I've ranted about this before, and here goes again-
Every single kit delivery I've had has been damaged in transit. Every one! Today I received my fuselage kit, and sure enough there were two places where it was clear that a fork had been run through the side, the end of the crate was pushed in and all the staples holding it together had pulled loose. As soon as the truck door opened I could see the crate was damaged. I could see paper and airplane parts through the gaps. All but one of the blocks that Van's installs on the bottom of the crates so that a forklift can slip under were gone. The shipping company kindly put the 8 foot crate on top of a 4 foot pallet for me to compensate. I've had it with these shipping companies that clearly don't give a **** about their cargo. XPO Logistics picked up the crate in Oregon and delivered it to Albuquerque, and from there RAC Transport delivered the crate to my home. I have no idea which shipping company is responsible for all the damage. The only thing that keeps me from going postal is that Vans does a superb job replacing parts that have been damaged in transit. It is the most pain-free service of any company with which I've worked so thank goodness for that.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 PM

I feel your pain. Every box from the tail section to the prop box had some significant damage.

Once that beautiful bird is flying, you will forget all about it. Not an excuse for the shipping companies to abuse our packages. Just keep your mind on the end goal.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 PM

I just got three ABF crates. The wing crate had the bottom separated from the side, stacked on top of the fuse crate that had a big hole plunged in the corner. All contents were safe! But..... no excuse.

The three crates were plainly marked.

The delivery guy showed up with a lift truck, but had no way to get the crates off the truck because it was too long to move with the tiny lift. I had to use my engine lift to rotate the load out of the truck to permit the lift to carry it down. Crazy.

My 14 crates all came Old Dominion and they couldn't have been nicer and the boxen were pristine.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Default Pack defensively

"This way up"

"Fragile"

"Handle with care"

Doesn't seem to make any difference to the folks who move our things around for a living (whether shifting airplane parts or home contents).

Sometime back there was a Tourister suitcase ad: The little old lady gives her bag to the bellhop. As soon as he enters the stairwell he morphs into a gorilla and chucks the bag down the stairs. But when he emerges again and morphs back into a bellhop, the bag is fine. Moral of the story: pack your stuff like it is going to be thrown around by a gorilla!

The ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5mHb_dn5c
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 03-20-2020 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Link to gorilla
Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 PM

I always, always request "terminal pickup" with my phone number attached. Most all of freight damage is done on the local delivery route. The local truck hits all sorts of other delivery destiations prior to you. At each of these the othe customers move your stuff around with their forklift and/or pallet jacks. Some don't have docks so your stuff gets dropped out the back in the process.

I have also had local truck drop a broken crate out the back and had a dingaling employee sign for it leaving us holding the bag.

By requesting dock pickup, when the shipment arrives on the OTR LTL truck, the transport company calls me. So I bypass the local delivery (and lift gate charges etc...). I go to the local cross-dock terminal with a flat bed trailer and insist on examining the crate before signing. If there is damage I insist on opening and examining the contents. The dock folks try to get you to sign before you see the crate until they realize you know your stuff. If there is significant damage I refuse delivery right there at the freight terminal so the shipment is never legally in my possession and the trucking company returns the crate to the shipper on their own dime and the shipper takes care of any damages or insurance claims.

If everything is okay I sign the bill of lading and the freight company drives the shipment down their freight ramp with their forklift and loads it on my utility trailer. It's a win-win. I prefer "terminal pickup". And the local dock manager does too because it saves them time and the cost of the local delivery.

Just and idea.

Last edited by jliltd : 03-21-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 AM

most shipping companies no matter who, are pretty good. a few are better than most. believe me, when the damage claim is finally settled and it trickles down to your whse/ dock and you get whacked the claim the offending person is pulled aside and the claim chargebacks stop or the offender is removed.
over the years i have seen carriers fall in and out of favor with vans. usually it is an isolated whse. not the company's business model to bust everything.
i wonder if vans could improve shipping outcomes by labeling boxes ''airplane parts'' or something else obvious. the employees come to know a shipper and potential problems.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-21-2020, 05:38 AM

I guess I've been lucky with the three crates I've received. One terminal pickup with ODFL, one home delivery from ODFL, and one home delivery from ABF. (Detroit/Ann Arbor area)

Question: Does anyone know what the home liftgate service costs, just ballpark? I really like it because otherwise I have to go rent a U-Haul trailer, but if that's still significantly cheaper, then...
RV-12is Empennage Kit, Fuse Kit, #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020
Old 03-21-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
I guess I've been lucky with the three crates I've received. One terminal pickup with ODFL, one home delivery from ODFL, and one home delivery from ABF. (Detroit/Ann Arbor area)

Question: Does anyone know what the home liftgate service costs, just ballpark? I really like it because otherwise I have to go rent a U-Haul trailer, but if that's still significantly cheaper, then...
I picked up my empennage kit from Romulus. I'm in Windsor, Ontario. My QB wings and Fuselage is ready to be shipped and was planning to ship again to ABF however with the border restriction I cannot pick it up. I may ship all the way to my home.

What is involved with home delivery from ABF? Do they have the equipment to unload something as large as the QB crates? If I have a fork lift can they get the crates to the back of the truck? Any insight would be appreciated.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Started Tail Cone Dec 2019
Received QB Kit April 2020
2020 Dues Paid
Old 03-21-2020, 06:20 AM

glenn, every delivery i took the driver had a floor jack or some means to get the crate to the back of the truck. some trucks are equipped with a lift gate. company charges $25 to 50 for liftgate services. get a hold of the local terminal for the carrier and find out exactly what your truck will have and what you can request in advance.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
What is involved with home delivery from ABF? Do they have the equipment to unload something as large as the QB crates? If I have a fork lift can they get the crates to the back of the truck? Any insight would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoffs View Post
glenn, every delivery i took the driver had a floor jack or some means to get the crate to the back of the truck. some trucks are equipped with a lift gate. company charges $25 to 50 for liftgate services. get a hold of the local terminal for the carrier and find out exactly what your truck will have and what you can request in advance.
Yup, best bet is to call them with the crate dimensions and weights, found here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-cont...ts-dec2018.pdf
Page 2 for QB, looks like you'll have three crates.

For me ODFL would not home-deliver my RV-10 emp kit, but they did it for my 12 emp, and ABF did it for my 12 fuse. I think the 10 emp was too long maybe, not suitable for a liftgate. If you have a fork lift, they may do it.
(EDIT: I do recall the ODFL driver being surprised that they wanted him to liftgate the 12 emp, but it really was no big deal)

$25 to $50 is well worth me not having to rent a U-Haul and do it myself. (As long as they continue to not damage things anyway)
RV-12is Empennage Kit, Fuse Kit, #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020

Last edited by BobbyLucas : 03-21-2020 at 07:09 AM.