- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Don't use ABC fire extinguishers!

The only fire extinguishers that should be used around our airplanes are Halon and perhaps CO2. The ABC fire extinguishers typically found in the stores are highly corrosive.

We had an airplane come to the shop for its first CI. It had been built by one of the "pro shops", whose name I will leave off. We discovered that the 4 spar bolts were missing as per the Van's SB, which there is no excuse for, as the airplane was less than a year old. In the process of opening up the flooring to insert the bolts, we noticed a horrible amount of corrosion on everything, including spar botls, trim motor, trim springs, and all metal screws throughout the interior, and even the rear spar bolts. The pictures would make you cringe.

There was also a very fine powder throughout the interior of the aircraft, which I thought could have been fiberglass sanding residue. The corrosion looked like someone had spilled a bucket of acid inside the airplane, so we encouraged the owner to reach out to the builder.

He was informed that there had been a fire on the first engine start due to a disconnected fuel line and a fire extinguisher was used to put the fire out. Obviously the wrong type of extinguisher!

I spoke to an arson investigator today who has a metallurgist on staff. He says the airplane should not be flown without being completely disassembled and throughly cleaned, as the dust from the fire extinguisher is now everywhere and it is extremely corrosive.

I can only imagine that some of the dust has also penetrated into the avionics and can only guess as to its impact down the road. The dust is as fine as flour. I posted some pics on my FB page. https://www.facebook.com/vic.syracuse.7 or this link https://baselegphotos.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 03-14-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add new picture link
Old 03-13-2020, 03:59 PM

That's why I have Halon in both my planes
Old 03-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Default no pictures?

Pics dont seem to be posted on your facebook page. Thanks
Wings- 99%
Fuselage-99%
Firewall Forward- Complete
Now Wiring Avionics
Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Vic,

After seeing the pictures (which are available now), is there anything that can be done with that plane now or is it destined for the scrape yard?

What should have been done after the ABC fire extinguisher was used? Is there anyway to clean up that mess?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-13-2020, 07:45 PM

As Vic said, ABC agents wreak havoc on aluminum and electrical. I'd try not to use them at all.

Get a Halotron or CO2 extinguisher.

My hangar has a 40 pound CO2, 10 pound CO2 and two 10 pound ABC extinguishers. I'll use the CO2 ones first, if still burning I'll use the ABCs as last resort.

Fortunately, I can see the fire station from my hangar if things got out of hand.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 03-13-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Fire extinguisher?

PROTENG.COM. Check it out gents.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:34 PM

The Proteng looks interesting, appreciate it if you could answer a few questions:

Are you using the standard or the heavy duty model, the standard ruptures at 158 degrees F and the heavy duty at 194 degrees F.

What is the cost for this device?
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 03-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Forum Peruser

Good posting, Vic. I saw the photos, and they are sickening.

Two years ago, the airport board here [Pryor Field (KDCU) Decatur, Alabama] mandated that each hangar have a standardized ABC fire extinguisher. I politely pointed out to the board that the powder would be highly corrosive to aluminum. The response was that they were concerned about stopping a large fire from spreading to other hangars and the airplane would be a total loss anyway.

I bought the required ABC extinguisher but also bought a Halotron and a CO2. I also bought a Halotron extinguisher and a CO2 extinguisher for my shop at home. If I have to extinguish a fire in my hangar I plan to use the ABC only as a last resort.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 03-14-2020, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Vic,

After seeing the pictures (which are available now), is there anything that can be done with that plane now or is it destined for the scrape yard?

What should have been done after the ABC fire extinguisher was used? Is there anyway to clean up that mess?
I don't know all of the answers to this yet, Bill. The dust seems to be throughout the airplane, so things will continue to corrode over time. I was amazed at the how the cad plated bolts and screws are so corroded, including the rear spar bolts that were outside the cabin.

The GTN has stopped communicating with the G3X, and I tried everything I can think of with regards to configurations, so I don't know if it is beginning to affect the avionics too.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 03-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I don't know all of the answers to this yet, Bill. The dust seems to be throughout the airplane, so things will continue to corrode over time. I was amazed at the how the cad plated bolts and screws are so corroded, including the rear spar bolts that were outside the cabin.

The GTN has stopped communicating with the G3X, and I tried everything I can think of with regards to configurations, so I don't know if it is beginning to affect the avionics too.

Vic
Yup, just the beginning for the avionics and electrical problems. This is nasty stuff for those components.

BTW, don't have an ABC in your airplane either. Your lungs be finished too if you discharge that in the cabin.

Good of Vic to bring this topic up. May save someone's airplane in the future.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 439.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm